• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Is this photo worthy as art? (old boat)

Brian Lowe

This is a photo taken of the "Hyacinth ll Gamboa" that was abandoned by the French in the late 1800's while working on that Panama canal. What is interesting, this is were the they left it and it has not been moved ever since that time.

The photo was taken after the sun had gone down and it was dark out and it was taken with a 600mm f/4 lens. I was down at the marina taking some photos of the local crocodile when this old boat caught my attention, I don't know what it is but there is something about this photo I really like.

If I may add my post processing was very minimal with this photo.

Is this photo worthy as art, I am interested to hear what the forum critics have to say?

Enjoy,
Brian

198311247-L.jpg

Rachel Foster

Deciding what is and isn't art is a good topic. Sometimes I'm very clear on what I think qualifies. Other times, self-doubt is a problem.

What do you like about it?

I won't comment on "art" we have been there before.

As for this photo, I like the saturated colors and the bands of color. I don't like the composition, it leads my eye left out of the frame. I also don't like the over processed look of the boat roof and curtains (if that's what those shards are).

The completely horizontal composition is very static and does not have any tension nor does it pose any question to engage the viewer or make him/her think.

I'm also not fond of the large watermark, but I understand the need.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Brian,

I struggle with this. It's as if we are limited to seeing only the very center of where things come together with amputation of the rest of each structure and the wider context.

Do you have a wider angle shot too?

As far as is this art, that's a tough question. You can answer that by looking to the feelings you had and have when you look at it. Does it work for you to pull you back and make you visit, feel and be moved.

You, after all were taken by it.

This is not a lion or bird we can recognize and wonder at. This is part of a boat and other boats with no overall geometric design or dominant focus of interest, partly because this is unlike what we have seen and we don't have much in our mental library to go on.

If it engages me in a print, I would give my feelings and we'd go from there.

It's certainly not a piece of garbage or a snap shot. It's interesting but still cooking im my head!

Now tell me you didn't take it but it's a picture in a collection at the National Museum in Panama and last sold for $200,000 and I'll smack you!

Asher

Greg Rogers

Hmm. I was tempted to agree with Chas, eye leading to left and all that, then started looking at it more. This is one of those "where in the heck do I crop this?" shots. I think you got it right, Brian, don't.....leave it be. Isn't this difficult to do??"

I have no idea what the blue thing is at upper right, reflecting in the water, but whatever, perhaps it (and "it's" refection) adds balance and offsets the "eye wandering off to the left" thing? I dunno, but it does for me.

Is is art? No clue, I'm not an artist. But I stared at the shot for about 3 minutes, eyes wandering about.....mezmorized....so from my point of view, heck of a shot.

-Greg

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Brian,

In the past, we have had many discussion as to what is art, and hopefully we shall have many more in the future. For now, my personal definition is: "art is in the eye of the beholder" (now that the bait has been cast, let's lay back and await the inevitable reactions - <smile>).

So based on this the answer is a Yes, just like Don has said before me. I just don’t like the picture personally (mainly due to the composition), but my dislike does not disqualify it from being art nevertheless. It is a pity that this was a one-off opportunity for you, otherwise I would encourage you to go back and try some other compositions.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Last edited:

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Brian,

I took the liberty of working on the crop a bit to clarify what I meant in my previous post. I also played with tonal ranges and saturation. Lastly, I did a vey quick and dirty job of cloning out the blue turned upside down boat to the right. What do you reckon?

img_34908_0_198421099-O.jpg

Cheers,

Ray West

Hi Brian,

I tend to agree with Charles analysis re, the composition. I think the bright green weeds, and the large whitish rectangles (curtains?) draw your eye to the left. If I crop the image near enough square, throw away all to the left of the absolute tip of the weeds, then I think the composition is improved. The upturned boats mirror the canopy, which I find kind of interesting, maybe I'd emphasise that, somehow. I think then I would play around with posterising the colours, maybe even getting it to just single shades of red,green, blue, black and white. Maybe just 'grunge' the image some more. Would the results be more likely to be considered 'art' ?.....

Best wishes,

Ray

Brian Lowe

WOW, thank you everyone! I was prepared to come back to this thread greeted as a meteorite crashing back in to earth. I know "What is Art" is a touchy subject around here, LOL.

But I must say is exactly what I was hopping for a great discussion.

A few things to add to this subject. The photo was taken after the sun had set the sky was a heavy overcast gray. The light was very different the boat looked like it was a ghost with a glow. What you see is very close as to what it looked like at that time. All I really did to this photo was apply a tonal cure and sharpen it. So it's almost like the boat was giving me this opportunity to photograph it.

Everyone again thank you for the good healthy discussion....so far.

I do plan on going back to Panama so I will have the opportunity to photograph this boat again.

No Asher the National Museum in Panama has not purchased it, yet. :-0

-Brian-

Nathan Pablo

if it's art to you then frankly it doesn't matter what other people think of it. well within reaosn anyhow. personally I like the photo.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
if it's art to you then frankly it doesn't matter what other people think of it. well within reaosn anyhow. personally I like the photo.

Nathan,

An easier question would be, "Is it "Artistic", then the answer is without hesitation, yes! My full reply is somewhat long, so you can jump to the end, if you wish and skip what I think art might be!

Yes, we believe that if the work brings up feelings for the photographer and this is what he had worked for, then, indeed it's art and the rest of the world be damned! Now we have art that moves more than the artist her/himself. If it is powerful enough to attract strong interest such that others want to see it or own it, it now becomes art for the community. At this point an Arc of Communication has been completed as the new appreciators experience and react to the work. Final if people buy the work and others want to buy it from them it begins to assume value like coinage and is ART, or as in a prestigious art gallery or a recognized work in a museum.

1. Arc of intent is private to the artist where the artist has a concept with feelings, ideas and significance, even an outstanding pattern with just an unexplained impact and the artist works to produce that piece, modifying it as needed until satisfied. At that point, the work reinvokes the family of feelings ideas and/thoughts and significance that were the cause of the work in the onset. With that, an "Arc of Intent" is complete, art is born!Life is breathed into it. Now the photograph has engraved in it emotions/feelings/thoughts from the photographer's head that work and the photograph is now art.

2. The Arc of intent is completed in another person. Here the Arc communicates the Artist's feelings and ideas through the photograph, painting, music or sculpture when the audience reacts with feelings, thoughts and ideas about the work and finds it significant and worthy of revisiting and talking about. It may be sold to various individuals but is not sought by institutions and collectors.

3. The work serves a commercial purpose in documenting events (wedding or sports) or else selling product or ideas. This may or may not be art in the sense that it can reach level 4. A professional works at this level at least, each vertical market having it's own esthetic idiom.

3. Artist value of the work is powerful enough to draw in people for it's inherent esthetic value, (for example as a photograph outside of any other commercial function like wedding or stock photographs) and can be an engine for commerce:The work is valued to be sought after, shown, purchased and returned to.

The work of art becomes a so valued that people keep wanting to re-experience it, the work gains community value and eventually galleries, groups, large institutions and commerce promote presentation and or distribution of the work with the expectation that it will draw an audience and gains traction as work to be respected, cherished and or valued. Ultimately the photograph or other work assumes the value of something precious such as gold, silver and jewels and so becomes a commodity for storing wealth.

So when we ask is it art, we must assume that Brian already has enough satisfaction with the image of the boat he has made that part of his soul is embedded in it. He looks at it and smiles. Now the arc is completed and, for sure it is art. That is absolutely certain, IMHO. We cannot even encroach on that.

The next stage is up to the community. What do any of us feel about Brian's picture? Does it hold out attention enough to make us feel and to ask questions and have wonder? Do we want to look at it again or think about it? According to how much we do these things the work is art more or less, a sliding scale. The units of the scale are not in inches, cm or seconds; they are not even standard from one person to another since each of us are different by personality, culture and experience.

198311247-L.jpg

When Brian asks us, "Is it worthy as art" how do we answer?

Who decides? We are now perhaps asking "Is it worthy of showing in a catalog or store or els exhibiting for people to appreciate?"

I now think the answer is going to be yes. I can see a market for this picture among boat lovers, people who have homes along the coast or who know something about the history of the Panama Canal and the massive project it was with peopledying of malaria and huge political, human and financial challenges. There may be traction beyond that. I like tbhe colrs and the feeling of the steamy jungle and frozen time. So I'd say, yes it's worthy as art!

A long answer but it was a difficult question which we always avoid answering!

Asher

Last edited: