• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Landon - 33 hours old

Doug Kerr

Early yesterday morning (2010.11.03) our fraternal twin great-grandsons arrived in great style.

Here is Landon, 33 hours old:

Landon_G01681ACR.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Landon, 33 hours old

He is very alert, and follows moving figures intently. However, his far point is likely only about 15 inches, so I would have been severely OOF.

The parents are both doing fine:

Landon_G01680CR.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Taylor, Landon, and Jennifer

Carla enjoys her role as great-grandmother (this is not the first time, though - these guys are numbers 4 and 5 if we limit ourselves to solid and heavy-dotted lines on the family tree):

Landon_G01689CR.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Carla and Landon

Landon's older (by 12 minutes) brother, Ashton, was at the time in the nursery taking in some blue rays to ameliorate neonatal icterus (newborn jaundice).

All the above were shot with my Canon PowerShot SX110 IS, using the on-camera flash unit.

A first cousin to these guys is expected early in December.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Congrats to Landon, his parents and the two of you, Doug and Carla! Anyone who has you both on their side is in for good fortune, great advice and generous feeding!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Sandrine,

I don't know about you (since you're not on the pictures) but I've never seen a grand-grand-mother looking so young, congrats for that too!
Thanks. She is a beautiful, bright, capable, and fun woman. I am so lucky to have her in my life.

By the way, she is 72.

Best regards,

Doug

StuartRae

Hi Doug,

Congratulations to you and Carla on the recent additions to your growing family. I'm sure they will bring great joy to all concerned.

Regards,

Stuart

Doug Kerr

Hi, All,

Thanks so much for your good wishes.

We learned today that the older twin, Ashton, has had his jaundice problem (excess of bilirubin) relieved with phototherapy (immersion in visible light in the 420-470 nm wavelength range), and the whole gang is expected to go to the house (as we say here in Texas*) tomorrow.

Hopefully he will be ready to join his younger brother in a serious paparazzoid onslaught.

*The locution comes from ranch work when, at the end of the shift, the rancher would not say it was time to "go home", since he was home. Rather, he would "go to the house".​
In the meantime, we'll take a look at this picture of the Olympic Bili-Lite, a popular phototherapy unit.

Bili_light_with_newborn.jpg

Olympic Bili-Lite unit with newborn​
Photo by Jeremy Kink via Wikimedia Commons (PD)​

The light causes the body to convert the bilirubin from one isomeric form to another, one that will be more readily excreted. (In newborns, especially short-term, the body's mechanism for doing this may not be perfected, and in fact shortly later in life, the bilirubin that is generated is of the other form anyway.)

Best regards,

Doug