• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

In Perspective, Fun: How to finance your photography?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
We're always faced with the dilemma that some price barrier is preventing us from acquiring a new lens or camera that we deserve! When you think of it, we can always reorganize our priorities! Aaron Johnson as a novel approach!

WTD852.gif

© Aaron Johnson: with Permission

Andrew Stannard

pro member
Ha ha! Made me laugh.

My personal approach is to be quite happy with my wife owning a horse - gives me the perfect excuse to spend some money on camera equipment now and then!

Seems that regardless of your hobby/passion/job etc there os always plenty to buy - I friend of mine has a bike with wheels costing £600 each. Seems mad to me, but then the price of a L lens would seem mad to him. Each to their own!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Ha ha! Made me laugh.

My personal approach is to be quite happy with my wife owning a horse - gives me the perfect excuse to spend some money on camera equipment now and then!
!

Exactly, andrew!

I believe in making a great deal of sincere congratulatory fuss to highlight any new clothes or jewelry I notice! That lays the ground work for a photographic balance, so to speak!

Asher

the frugality of photography

I console myself with the fact that I no longer own a share of an airplane. Overhauling an engine after a few years of even careful use makes a digital back feel only modestly expensive. Installing a glass panel to FAA certification standards beats a whole studio of equipment.

And then there are boats...

scott

I love WTD. I just wish it wasn't always so negative. There's positive aspects to being a photographer!

Hi Alain,

So true, however most humo(u)r seems to gravitate around the misfortunes of others ...

Interestingly, today I watched an interview with an author of a book (in the field of psychology) who published a book about "forgetting". Apparently we seem to remember bad experiences better, since they are a better recipe to improve our survival skills ...

Fascinating stuff, humo(u)r.

Cheers,
Bart