• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

T'bird

StuartRae

This morning I visited my friend Bill to look at his new toy - a Triumph Thunderbird. Goodness knows how he got it past the 'budget manager' - I imagine it involved lengthy negotiations.

Tbird.jpg

A very handsome bike, and he's very proud of it, but it's not as beautiful as my '53 Velocette Venom , even though it was a sod to start, and not really suitable for every day use. Or even my BSA B33

Stuart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Stuart

This looks like a great bike. Where are they made now? What's that box thing in the front beloow the handlebars? Seems to small for a radiator like on the 2006 Harley. A battery perhaps?

These bikes can cause such big arguments especially about hrlmets and safety and use of other protective clothing, rules of the road, such as the right to weave through traffic.

Also each bike seems to have a personality.

Some are easy to control in city traffic at low speed, some are speed maniacs and before you know it you're doing 120MPH.

I used to work in the Triumph factory in Birmingham to help fund my colllege expenses. So, if you also have a 60's bike, perhaps you were riding around on a bike with parts I selected!!

Asher

StuartRae

Asher,

Triumphs are currently manufactured at the Meriden factory, halfway between Coventry and Birmingham.

The 'box' is indeed a radiator. The Thunderbird is water-cooled, unlike my current 2001 Bonneville which is air-cooled where the 'box' is an oil-cooler.

I used to ride a 1969 Bonny, the last of the 'proper' Triumphs before the dreadful disk brake, and before quality control destroyed the marque. The 'reborn' Triumphs are very well built.

BTW, about 30 years ago I was offered a Vincent Black Shadow for £400. It was too expensive (LOL) so I bought the Venom instead.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Interesting stuff.

Stuart, how does this handle in slow traffic and in the rain and on the freeway (motorway :) ) ?

Asher

StuartRae

Asher,

Triumphs are currently manufactured at the Meriden factory

Oh dear! I must have had a senior moment - about 20 years in the past. Of course, since 1988 Triumphs have been built at Hinkley, Leicestershire.

I haven't riiden the bike (yet) but I imagine that because of the low seat it's very easy to ride in traffic. Even Bill, who is vertically challenged, can get both feet on the ground.
For the open road I'd prefer lower bars.
On the motorway it probably cruises nicely at the speed-limit, with the fly screen deflecting wind over the rider's head.
In the rain you take your chance with wet manhole covers and hot banding (a method of road repair which leaves a lethally slippery band of bitumen).

Stuart