• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

In Perspective, Planet: A bit windy in Scotland......

StuartRae

From BBC Scotland:

A gust of 89mph (143km/h) was recorded in Tiree.
The Ski area at Aonach Mor, just outside Fort William in the Highlands has reported a wind gust of 130mph (209km/h ).
The Met Office said winds at Cairngorm Summit had reached up to 165mph (264km/h).

And also courtesy of the BBC, it seems that wind turbines don't like being spun too fast!

turbine.jpg

Regards,

Stuart

Andrew Stannard

pro member
Just noticed this picture on the BBC myself Stuart. I wonder exactly what happened to the turbine.

Hopefully there won't be too much damage to property or injury.

Andy.

Jerome Marot

Typical wind turbine range between 2-5 MW. That is a lot of power, and certainly sufficient to lit a fire. That would be the power of 1000-2500 space heaters.

Mark Hampton

From BBC Scotland:

The Ski area at Aonach Mor, just outside Fort William in the Highlands has reported a wind gust of 130mph (209km/h ).
The Met Office said winds at Cairngorm Summit had reached up to 165mph (264km/h).

And also courtesy of the BBC, it seems that wind turbines don't like being spun too fast!

turbine.jpg

Regards,

Stuart

Staurt,

its been worse - in the summer we had worse - its just a slow news day I guess.. rolling news ov a wee bit wind..

it seemed this morning - before the wee storm hit people on the roads were in panic mode - sent out with dire warnings !

its trended on twitter as #hurricane cuntybaws or #hurricane bawbag

nice night for a wee dram and cuddle...

cheers

StuartRae

Staurt,

its been worse - in the summer we had worse - its just a slow news day I guess.. rolling news ov a wee bit wind..

it seemed this morning - before the wee storm hit people on the roads were in panic mode - sent out with dire warnings !

its trended on twitter as #hurricane cuntybaws or #hurricane bawbag

nice night for a wee dram and cuddle...

cheers

Hi Mark,

The BBC have exaggerated weather warnings ever since Michael Fish and the hurricane incident in 1987.

StuartRae

Courtesy of Wikipedia.

He became infamous in the wake of the Great Storm of 1987; a few hours before the storm broke, on 15 October 1987, he said during a forecast: "Earlier on today, apparently, a woman rang the BBC and said she heard there was a hurricane on the way... well, if you're watching, don't worry, there isn't!". That evening, the worst storm to hit South East England since 1703 caused record damage and killed 18 people.

It wasn't so bad here in the South West, but it was strong enough to blow my dustbin over.

Don Ferguson Jr.

Just noticed this picture on the BBC myself Stuart. I wonder exactly what happened to the turbine.

Hopefully there won't be too much damage to property or injury.

Andy.

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/west-ce...flames-as-hurricane-force-winds-hit-scotland/
More info .

A wind turbine went up in flames as gust of up to 160mph battered parts of Scotland.

The turbine in a North Ayrshire wind farm caught fire on Thursday afternoon.

Fire engines attended the blaze which died out after a matter of minutes at the wind farm situated above Ardrossan at around 3.40pm.

Ardrossan resident Stuart McMahon said the turbine had not been in operation due to the severe weather warning.

Mr McMahon, who captured the spectacular fire in photos, added: "I didn’t hear any explosion or anything, but my wife shouted for me to come down and see the fire.

"There are around 13 or 15 wind turbines in the farm above Ardrossan. They were all off today because of the high winds, so something has obviously shorted out and gone on fire.

Don Ferguson Jr.

From BBC Scotland:

turbine.jpg

Regards,

Stuart

Stuart , cool shot and notice the sky is not as dark on this one .
Don

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/west-ce...flames-as-hurricane-force-winds-hit-scotland/

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I'd have thought they'd engineered a hurricane solution from the outset! Surely there's an app for that!

Asher

I'd have thought they'd engineered a hurricane solution from the outset! Surely there's an app for that!

I suppose it was a failing brake. When the winds become too strong, I think it's customary to shut down the turbine, if possible by rotating the blade pitch in a feathered position, and put it on a brake. When that brake slips it will generate lots of heat.

Cheers,
Bart

Tracy Lebenzon

Asher

That or perhaps the engineers didn’t consider the environment capable of generating the wind velocity it did. What is considered “normal” in weather conditions has changed considerably in only the last few years.

In my neighborhood, we’ve started to have rain storms each year that created flood conditions for nearly each of the last 6 years; each of which that met or exceeded the 100 year estimates of storms. We’ve lost a number of roadways next to rivers as well as bridges….

upperFs742.jpg