• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Breaking Waves: Interesting link and do you have such spectacular shots?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Andrew,

The photographer is Clark Little and a lot of these images are as one might expect, from Hawii! His camera is obviously in a waterproof case. With today's digicams and inexpensive waterproof cameras, there must be a lot more spectacular wave photography hidden in amongst your files.

Asher

I saw him this morning on Good Morning America. He was a very interesting person and his technique was equally interesting. On a number of images of him at work, all you see is a hand sticking up through the water with a camera in it.
James

Andy brown

Wow. Just wow.

Yeah, they're pretty good.

The first shot on the link is almost exactly the same as my first memory of 'the green room', the tube. I was very young, it was southern Australia, the water was crystal clear and cool, the air was hot and dry ( like the current bushfire conditions). I stared down that crystal cylinder and was at one with the universe,
as the wave passed, the offshore wind sprayed the feathering top of the wave back over us and it was effervescent, like being in a glass of champagne.
I never forgot that watershed moment, never will and have since caught, ridden, dived under, performed whale breach manouvres over and been dumped, ragged, almost drowned, and generally exhilerated by countless thousands of waves of all shapes and sizes.

Some of the extreme shorebreak conditions he is photographing in are extremely dangerous. Waves like those render at least a couple of people as quadraplegics in a normal Australian Summer.

Andy brown

Small wave but colourful

Stormcolour.jpg

Andy brown

Andy,

Yes it's beautiful! I wonder if you anyone has found fish in such a shot?

Asher

I've seen shots of breaking waves with dolphins bodysurfing them( I've actually got one myself but it's a pretty crappy shot).
I regularly see schools of salmon or mullet in waves but I always seem to be swimming not photographing on these occasions. C'est la vie!