• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Red Chair

Mike Shimwell

I've never done this before, but this seemed like a bit of fun for a shot from a visit to Snape Maltings in Suffolk back in January.

Mike

3361351996_a52e611092_o.jpg

Cem_Usakligil

I've never done this before, but this seemed like a bit of fun for a shot from a visit to Snape Maltings in Suffolk back in January.

Mike

3361351996_a52e611092_o.jpg
Hi Mike,

I am missing some context here (such as what is "Snape Maltings"), but that is besides the point.

My mind is now racing why that particular chair is red? And what is the significance of the buckets? And why is the bucket in front of the red chair not in colour as well? So the picture made me think in the end. ;-)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Mikr,

I'll buy the explanation to Cem's question in advance, LOL! I'm interested in impact here. Since the chairs and buckets are important, why not blur and darken the b.g. and even sharpen the red chair and one bucket if it's special too?

Having just color to push the importance of the chair and perhaps a bucket seems to be ultra-restrained and might not be bringing out the full effect you might want. But that I'll hold back on pending your answers to Cem's questions.

Cheers!

Asher

Mike Shimwell

Hi Cem

Snape Maltings was once a very large maltings - a place where barley is malted (germinated) for making beer - in Suffolk. It ceased working as a maltings around 1960 and parts were later transformed into a (very wonderful) concert hall used by the Aldeburgh music festival. Aldebugh was the home of the compser Benjamin Britten until his death in 1976.

Now the Maltings houses the concert hall and an array of shops etc, including the 'Collector's Corner' which was selling these chairs and buckets. That chair is red because it was and the otehrs were green as were the buckets. As to why, it's a bit of fun:)

Mike

Mike Shimwell

Following Asher's suggestion, here is another quick version with more emphasis given to the chair and the green bucket in front...

Away to bed now - it's getting late.

Thanks for your comments both Cem and Asher.

Mike

3361646458_c0c5ff903a_o.jpg

Asher Kelman

Following Asher's suggestion, here is another quick version with more emphasis given to the chair and the green bucket in front...

Away to bed now - it's getting late.

Thanks for your comments both Cem and Asher.

Mike

Mike, go further! The camera couldnt have known that the stairs dont belong there so I sketched this:

3361646458_c0c5ff903a_o copy.jpg

Mike Shimwell The Red Chair Edits AK

A little untidy but you get the idea!

Asher

Mike Shimwell

OK Asher, Cem

I've taken the bait and here is yet another version:) Whoi said this was just a bit of fun?

Please let me know what you think.

Mike

3363467721_1b57af0a13_o.jpg

Asher Kelman

Mike,

Way better. This fits into my idea of factive, what is and fictive what might or should be for a personal vision where we can exclude, model and highlight to build a picture. Although what one can snap may be outstanding art, for most of us it needs more work. Here the end design is worthy of a great print.

Kudos,

Asher

Mike Shimwell

Asher

Thanks for your input and comment. I have to say that I much prefer the latter to the former and have made a 12 by 8 print on Ilford Gold Fibre Silk, which I will mount to foamcore for display.

It's good to be challenged and to develop work and vision as a result. Thanks

Mike