• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Who's available for shooting in NY early this week?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Is it snow covered still in Central Park right now? Do any of the autumn leaves show through? I wonder. Can anyone post pictures of what we can only imagine? Are the horses still taking tourists around wrapped in blankets? What's there to see?

Asher

John Angulat

pro member
Ok, I'll bite... :)
Oh yes, there's still snow in the park and the carriages owners are plying their trade.
The streets and sidewalks are dry, so a walk-about is not a problem.
It's been a bit colder than normal and a bit snowier than usual (overall).
I'm committed to taking my lady ice fishing Saturday, but I will be in the city on Sunday.
Although the Chinese Lunar New Year was officially celebrated here on 14 Feb, the big parade is this Sunday. I'll be there.
Whilst I'm "wandering", I'll give you a photo-update.

Cem_Usakligil

Ok, I'll bite... :)
Oh yes, there's still snow in the park and the carriages owners are plying their trade.
The streets and sidewalks are dry, so a walk-about is not a problem.
It's been a bit colder than normal and a bit snowier than usual (overall).
I'm committed to taking my lady ice fishing Saturday, but I will be in the city on Sunday.
Although the Chinese Lunar New Year was officially celebrated here on 14 Feb, the big parade is this Sunday. I'll be there.
Whilst I'm "wandering", I'll give you a photo-update.
Wow John, Asher! I am so jealous that I can't be there with you on Sunday :-(. Have lots of fun and show us the catch of the day.

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

Cem, Rachel,

Thanks for all the good wishes! We'll get together for sure!

Meanwhile I'm looking forward to meeting John!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Not only in NY, but meeting with someone who was raving about a barge trip from Amsterdam to Bruge and more. I specifically asked if there were good reflections and I'm assured yes. So now that's on my mind! Tulip time!

Meanwhile I'm snapping street stuff and visiting galleries. Hope to meet up with John!

The snow still exists in Central Park but elsewhere just islands of dirty white hardened mounds.

Asher

Not only in NY, but meeting with someone who was raving about a barge trip from Amsterdam to Bruge and more. I specifically asked if there were good reflections and I'm assured yes. So now that's on my mind! Tulip time!

Hi Asher,

Sounds good. The best time to see the most beautiful tulips up close is March 18th to May 16th this year, during the annual Keukenhof flower show (44 million visitors during 60 year, so a challenge to keep the people out of the images). Due to this year's theme "From Russia with love" there are also arrangements with the Hermitage in Amsterdam, but that of course also depends on the amount of time one has available.

Cheers,
Bart

Asher Kelman

Hi Asher,

Sounds good. The best time to see the most beautiful tulips up close is March 18th to May 16th this year, during the annual Keukenhof flower show (44 million visitors during 60 year, so a challenge to keep the people out of the images). Due to this year's theme "From Russia with love" there are also arrangements with the Hermitage in Amsterdam, but that of course also depends on the amount of time one has available.

Cheers,
Bart

This is good news! I would love to see the Hermitage collection. hope no one steals it before I get there.

Asher

BTW, is it better for the barges to move at night or in the day?

BTW, is it better for the barges to move at night or in the day?

Hi Asher,

Depends on the barge used. It's quite some distance (200 Km , 124 miles, 108 US nautical miles ;-)) so the barge type/speed and route taken makes a lot of difference, also in time. Traveling by North sea won't show much more than a coastline (sand dunes) for the majority of the trip, but the start, the passing of Rotterdam, and the end of travel will be most interesting. Do you have any details about the barge trip?

Cheers,
Bart

Asher Kelman

We heard about it from some friends who came up by train to meet with us for a day and they're now gone, but I'll get the details. We were told that the barge moved silently at night and it was absolutely smooth. The facilities were really luxurious. I'll found out more!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Meanwhile, I've had a great visit with John Angulat. It was such a pleasure to meet with him and share ideas and some of my work. I hope I can meet more OPFrs like this!

It's one thing to follow someone's work, it's even a greater pleasure to then meet them in person and put a body, face and personality behind those photographs we already like.

Thanks John for making your way downtown!

Asher

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Asher,
The pleasure was all mine!
My head is still spinning with all the topics we managed to discuss!
...and although I'm in the "Chateau du bow-wow" for getting home so late, it was worth every minute!