• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A Bit of Ambient Light Studio Work

Bobby Deal

Shot during a demo for one of my weekly studio workshops
Was not really a planned shot it just happens that the afternoon sun coming through the west windows of the studio during a onl light nude workshop prompted some natural light questions and concerns about noise in high ISO settings.

RDP_0932-BW.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Was not really a planned shot it just happens that the afternoon sun coming through the west windows of the studio during a onl light nude workshop prompted some natural light questions and concerns about noise in high ISO settings.

RDP_0932-BW.jpg

Hello Bobby,

Welcome back for the New Year! :)

As far as I can tell, looking at her lovely Boticelli hair, the black looks fine and the highlight are not troubled. Only on printing could there be a problem. When I just left Florence last week, there was a 3 meter billboard of a gorgeous model in color and there was obvious noise, but my wife thought it was fine! So I guess we worry a little too much about noise!! The public does not generally have such worries!

Delighted to see this new work, especially generated on the fly by creative impulse! Working with the light that is heaven-given is so neglected when we know how to use studio lights! I like the picture and don't have any worries about noise in the shadows. It's the placement of the mode, shapes, expression, posture and distribution of shade that rank so much higher.

I have discomfort about even perfect lenses with no character and obsession with even illumination and freedom from noise. There must be some imperfections for real things and your picture is in that category.

Still, noise can ruin a picture. What were your own findings?

Asher

Last edited:

Bobby Deal

As it was shotnwith the D3S I had little ral concern of noise. This shot and several others from the series were printed at 24x36 and noise was minimal at close inspection and not noticed at all when viewed at proper viewing distancenfornthe print size

George Holroyd

As it was shotnwith the D3S I had little ral concern of noise. This shot and several others from the series were printed at 24x36 and noise was minimal at close inspection and not noticed at all when viewed at proper viewing distancenfornthe print size

There is always a bit of difference in perceived noise between on-screen and in print. The latter is the only thing that matters, in my opinion.

Your model reminds me a bit of Patti Smith.

Bobby Deal

Thanks George and I agree that if noise is not a problem at the intended viewing distance of a piece then it matters not how much there is when pixel peeping. It all comes down to perspective

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

RDP_0932-BW.jpg

Bobby,

I'd offer that a photograph is only spoiled by noise if the visceral and mental experience is diminished. For your work, noise do not matter, even if it would be noticeable, as the work itself already earns our interest. One needs to disassociate ourselves from anything like good behavior, rules and manners in being creative.

Asher