• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

"Center of the lens"?

Doug Kerr

We often hear it said, in the case of a lens intended to support a certain frame size but used on a camera with a smaller frame size (such as a Canon EF lens on a Canon EOS 7D body), that we may enjoy improved performance of the lens "since only the center of the lens is used". That statement is wholly incorrect.

I will use this figure to discuss this matter.

lens_rays_02.gif

It shows the famous fictional "thin lens", and since it is fictional anyway, we have shown the aperture stop being right inside it. (Thus we need not deal separately with the entrance pupil and the exit pupil.)

Each row of panes of the figure shows a different camera and lens "setup".

We assume that our cameras regard three "point" objects, "X", "Y", and "Z". Object X is on the lens axis, Y off the axis by a bit, and Z farther off the axis. We will look at the rays from each of these objects in separate panes in the row.

In the top row, A, we have our larger sensor and the lens at its maximum aperture. We follow five rays from the object through the lens until they converge to form a point image on the sensor. This works fine for all three objects.

Note that in this situation, rays from any of the objects pass all portions entire lens.

In the next row, B, we have gone to a camera with a smaller frame size (smaller sensor), but still have the same lens, still operating at its maximum aperture. For the objects X and Y, everything works fine, but the rays from object Z do not form a point image on the sensor but rather alongside it (on the sensor mask). In other words, object Z is out of the field of view of this lens with this frame size - it will not be seen in the image. Its rays are shown dotted to remind us that they are wholly ineffectual.

Note that there is no notion here of "only using the center of the lens". Rays from all the objects still pass through the entire lens.

In row C, we have gone back to our original camera, with the larger sensor, but have now stopped the camera aperture down quite a bit. We now see that the rays from the object that would have passed through the outer reaches of the lens no longer do so, being blocked by the aperture stop. We see that this effect is the same for all three objects.

The blocked rays, before they reach the aperture, are shown dashed as a reminder that they are doomed.

Now here we could rightly talk about "only using the center of the lens".

In row D, we have the camera with the smaller sensor and as well have stopped down the lens aperture. We see that, as before, rays that would have passed through the outer reaches of the aperture no longer do so, being blocked by the aperture stop. Then, in the case of the object Z only, the rays that do pass through the lens land off the sensor (since of course that object is out of the field of view of this lens with this sensor).

Best regards,

Doug

Last edited:
I guess "centre of the lens" is muddled with "centre of the image". If there is an image quality gain for a smaller sensor it must come from the reduced contribution of off-axis aberrations.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I guess "centre of the lens" is muddled with "centre of the image". If there is an image quality gain for a smaller sensor it must come from the reduced contribution of off-axis aberrations.

Maris,

The off-axis aberrations sometimes make the lens worthy! The "Visual Quality" Pinkham and Smith was made that way, but it's no small lens!

Asher

David Ellsworth

I've noticed that in most of my lenses, I'm not even getting the precise "center of the image" on my DSLRs — even on the really well-corrected lenses, like the very sharp copy of the 100-400mm that I have.

For example on zoom lenses, the zoom center (the point on the image that is invariant to zoom) can be quite significantly far from the center of the APS-C sensor, especially when using teleconverter(s). And chromatic aberrations / astigmatism are often centered on a point significantly far from the center of the sensor (not necessarily the same as the zoom center).

It makes me really wish there were a universal tilt/shift mount, at least one that allowed for micro-adjustments.

It also makes me wonder what's going on optically that causes this decentering. Is it more from optical components (individual lenses) that aren't perfectly aligned relative to each other, or more from individual lenses that aren't perfectly shaped (i.e., are subtly warped)?