• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

In Perspective, Planet: Guess What!!

fahim mohammed

A British ( grandparents of Indian origin ) Consultant Anesthetist, family friend, asked a favor of me.

His grandparents and his parents ( before they moved to Britain ) had a collection of photographs taken in India/Pakistan dating back to 1935/36.

Could I do something to put them on cd for him, do some restoration work on his great grandfather's photograph. Taken during the British Raj.

Could I ? Expensive I told him.

Cost? I get to keep a copy of all non-personal photos.

Deal agreed.

I have with me right now 4 albums..torn, photos fixed with corner fixes, brown, some missing.
The inside of the Taj Mahal circa 1942!! Folded photos.

I am shakingggggg.

Bye.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Fahim,

A British ( grandparents of Indian origin ) Consultant Anesthetist, family friend, asked a favor of me.

His grandparents and his parents ( before they moved to Britain ) had a collection of photographs taken in India/Pakistan dating back to 1935/36.

Could I do something to put them on cd for him, do some restoration work on his great grandfather's photograph. Taken during the British Raj.

Could I ? Expensive I told him.

Cost? I get to keep a copy of all non-personal photos.

Deal agreed.

Fabulous!

Best regards,

Doug

fahim mohammed

Thanks Doug.

Here are 2 pics of the album. If I touch that transparent cover it breaks. The whole thing is brittle.

The corner fixes cannot be removed without tearing the album. Some photos cannot be moved.

The photo is that of some market in Bombay ( Mumbai ) 1945. This is typed on a old style typewriter.
Beautifully typed, and glued.

p1006365987.jpg

In the next picture what you see is another album cover. I can't turn it. There are 4 photos sticking to
its underside!!

p899087923.jpg

Charlotte Thompson

fahim

oh wow you do have your work cut out for you
I suggest only the best to restore or you might go crazy-
what an fab series and I for one can't wait to see what you do
now no pressure of course-

Charlotte-

fahim mohammed

Charlotte, I have no idea how and what to to.

But I shall try to table-copy it first. Only those parts that shall not be damaged.

Let's see after that.

There is a photo of Mumbai, with the Fort of India, with nothing around!! Empty Charlotte.!!
Unbelievable!!

Regards.

What a marvelous opportunity.

Search the net for photo restoration techniques to help make sure you do no further damage to the pictures.

Best wishes,

Mike Shimwell

Fahim

What a great project. I hope you have plenty of time:)

You might contact Ctein through The Online Photographer as he's recently produced a book on photo restoration

MIke

Jerome Marot

Get a macro lens and tripod and simply take pictures of the pictures with a digital camera. No need to remove the corners, etc... Fast, too.

Fahim, I can help for these ones. After all, that a part of what I do for a living. :)

Usually I scan the photos but I understand that it's impossible. Have they have any silvering? what's the overall condition? With a good 105 macro (equivalent 35mm) it should do the trick. What kind of lighting do you have?

The problem might be more the album than the photos actually.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thanks Doug.

Here are 2 pics of the album. If I touch that transparent cover it breaks. The whole thing is brittle.

The corner fixes cannot be removed without tearing the album. Some photos cannot be moved.

The photo is that of some market in Bombay ( Mumbai ) 1945. This is typed on a old style typewriter.
Beautifully typed, and glued.

p1006365987.jpg

In the next picture what you see is another album cover. I can't turn it. There are 4 photos sticking to
its underside!!

p899087923.jpg

Get permission to break the transparent cover of one, just for trial. If you can separate it from the pictures, you are home free. I actually think you can simply put the page in water and the paper will float off and the prints then can be dried once again as prints. The silver will not come off.

Asher

fahim mohammed

My thanks to all for the interest and suggestions that have been put forward.

The initial excitement on my part has been replaced by fear. I do not want to damage anything that obviously is irreplaceable for the owners. At the same time, opportunities don't come a knocking!!

I was kicked out of my bedroom last night for causing disturbance and being a nuisance to other
inhabitants!!

I did find a cleanly torn piece of paper with writings of an educated person in green ink. On one side it seems to be a pharma formulation.

On the other a note to the effect that ' camels seem to be the main mode of transport ini Egypt'!!!

It is undated.