• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Client requests a "Certificate of Authenticity"

Rick Otto

Been off the Forums a while due to health issues - (Resolved) - but I do have this issue I'm not sure how to handle...

I made a rather large and profitable sale to an individual in Mexico. He has been delivered the photographs and has indicated he's extremely happy with the products..... It's been about a month now, and I get an EMail from him requesting a "Certificate of Authenticity" on the Photos that he purchased (11). I replied that I don't normally provide those, as I currently have no photos that are considered "Limited Edition" photos... I didn't even sign the ones that he purchased.. (Think he's reselling them??)

I'm in the US - he's in Mexico - He hasn't replied yet, but I dont want to alienate a good customer.. IF he persists, how do I go about getting/printing a COA out for him ?? Any blank templates available? Have done some Google searches for that, but seems as though they cost, or they just provide the info needed and not any 'format' they should be in...

Thoughts?? Anyone use them and be willing to provide a copy so I can learn from your format and print with my info?

Thanks,
Rick

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The certificate of authenticity is often overrated or else not appreciated for the great worth it can have. Sharing with the owner of your work the details of the origin of the work is a great idea. It helps understand the work and how to protect it. With numbered limited editions the value might be increased by it's relative rarity or it's early order. Each picture is printed individually so can vary slightly in some fine ways special and unique. Even with large series of images or open editions, certifying the nature of the aper, printing process and inks or darkroom process is both interesting and important in the care and value of the picture and investment.

So I'd consider using this request as a basis for making a form in Microsoft Word and including the information suggested here. No need to spend and money on the design. Important are the headings, (from the link given) that you fill in by hand.

•"Title of Print
•Artist's Name
•Size of Edition
•Number of Artist's Proofs
•Artist's Signature
•Image Size
•Medium/Technique •Date of Printing
•Name of Print Workshop
•Method of Reproduction
•Paper Information
•Ink Information

Each Certificate contains all of the essential information to verify the authenticity and chronology of the print. "

Now you have to decide whether there are likely to be future sales to this individual requesting the COA!

Asher :)

Asher, All the images that I sell are low-run limited editions and all come with a certificate of authenticity.

All the things you mentioned are on the certificate and I add a bit more.

When I create a print, I always sign it and add a #C.A. number. That Certificate of Authenticity # also is on the Certificate. They match. If a run has 30 editions, then if it is my 83rd image I'm selling, the very first one would have the number #08301, subsequent prints would hold #08302, #08303. Each time a print is sold, the price for the following goes up a bit, making the first one the cheapest to buy and the one that gains the most value. I keep a record of all the prints I make with their C.A. #s.
I include the date of the original photograph and the date of printing, as I only print a new edition once one has been sold and the date of the photo and the print don't match.

I also include the actual size of the printed area and the size of the paper. So it could be written, print is 12 x 18 on paper that 13 x 19.

I also include that, I as the photographer, hold the copyright to the work, that I may reproduce it on cards, in a book or promotional material. That these reproductions are not considered original (only signed works are) but may augment the value of the original editions.

Don't know if this further information is necessary for Rick, but may be of use to some other person thinking about what they may want to include in their certificate.