• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

new thread of my birds

Anthony Reilly

DSC_0952.jpg

Anthony Reilly: Immature Male Harris Hawk.

DSC_0960.jpg

Anthony Reilly: Female hybrid falcon, (Gyr x Lanner)

DSC_0986.jpg

Anthony Reilly: Female Peregrine Falcon

DSC_1020.jpg

Anthony Reilly: Male hybrid falcon, (Gyr x Saker)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Anthony,

Impressive creatures, aren't they. As you know (from an earlier thread of mine), I also enjoy the possibility to get really close to the ones being trained for 'Falconry' purposes. Shooting them from so close is virtually impossible in the wild, except in some rare nesting situations. The coloring and details in their feathers is so stunningly beautiful, but hard to capture in a flat image. The agility and speed (especially the speed of the falcons) is amazing.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Bart

Anthony Reilly

Thank you bart i am glad you like the pictures. I am lucky to get such pictures as i work at the centre so i not only have the chance to get up close but to touch these magnificent creatures.

Anthony Reilly

DSC_1021.jpg

Female American Barn Owl

DSC_1027.jpg

White Faced Scops Owl

DSC_1035.jpg

Female Spectacled Owl

DSC_1037.jpg

Male European Kestrel​

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Anthony,

How are you post processing the pictures? Have yo sharpened them at all or adjust the contrast curve? I just wonder!

Asher

Michael Nagel

Impressive series, but the last one I like the most.
Maybe it is for the direct stare, I don't know.

Best regards,
Michael

Eric Diller

Being a big Raptor fan I love the images. Prefer them in the wild but unclose and personal is a great experience. well done

Note the very first image has a distinctive halo around the bird. That usually comes from over sharpened area and a conflict with the blur tool. You indicated no post processing so I can't figure out how the halo appears (I have Eagle eyes :) )

Anthony Reilly

you must have because i can't see any halo haha. i actually don't know what post processing is but if you can explain it i might be able to answer properly :)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
DSC_0952.jpg

Anthony Reilly: Immature Male Harris Hawk.

Being a big Raptor fan I love the images. Prefer them in the wild but unclose and personal is a great experience. well done

Note the very first image has a distinctive halo around the bird. That usually comes from over sharpened area and a conflict with the blur tool. You indicated no post processing so I can't figure out how the halo appears (I have Eagle eyes :) )

Eric,

I believe what we are seeing is the in-camera sharpening that occurs in making jpgs

Likely that's what we see or else a jpg artifact preparing the file for the web. In fact, I don't see that the image is really sharpened. certainly not how I'd expect to see it.

Asher