• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Formby Fox

Andrew Stannard

pro member
Hi,

I was at Formby nature reserve near Southport in the UK on Monday. It's really a red squirrel reserve - and probably the best/easiest place to see them in the UK. However, never let it be said that a fox isn't cunning!

The one below has cottoned onto the fact that people are feeding the squirrels and has taken a liking to monkey nuts. He (she?) was wandering around quite happily just a few yards away from the trail - grabbing nuts and retreating to a safe distance to eat them.

FormbyFox.jpg

This was taken on my 20D with a Sigma 70-300 APO (not the sharpest lens around - but good value for money). I was using AI-Servo and the '*' button for focusing which worked well. I've got a few other sucessful shots, but this is my favourite, with eye contact and the added bonus of the yellow flowers by his feet.

I'll admit to suffering 'lens envy' at another photographer! He was shooting with a 1dsIII and a 300mm. One day maybe...

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Andy,

Sharp focus, is IMHO, way over rated! Besides here, the fox is for sure well separated from the b.g. and sure looks like a fox. Pobably a feamle fox since someone has left it flowers!

Did you happen to try sharpening?

Now why would this smart fox not grab a squirrel! Aren't they supposed to eat them?

Asher

Andrew Stannard

pro member
Now why would this smart fox not grab a squirrel! Aren't they supposed to eat them?

I think you're right - they do sometimes take squirrels. This one seemed to be enjoying the easy life though! The way the red squirrels were darting around they were likely too quick for the fox - and my camera!

flying_squirrel.jpg