• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Humble Magpie...

Barry Johnston

It's been a while since I photographed any birds, but I was happy with this shot of the humble magpie taken this weekend as he sang on my balcony...

original.jpg

1D-MkIIN
EF400 f/2.8
1/500 @ f/4 ISO200

Barry

A nice portrait shot, again with that wonderfully smooth background, tack-sharp features, and a great pose.

The orientation of the light coming from the left, leaving the head partly shadowed is the only negative to this shot.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Don's point is valid but hey, there's photoshop, easier than moving the sun or getting the bird to switch sides. I'd add more space on the left. I like room for the bird to fly away.

One day I'm going to hang the guy who said we must crop close! Nuts! Don't put beautiful things in prison!

I too am impressed! A portrait to be proud of. Whenever you post like this, it's another vote for looking after them!

Asher

Even what we think is "common" took ~2 billion years to arrive on your window.

Barry Johnston

Magpie - uncropped

Thanks, I really appreciate your comments.

Actually, I thought the lighting was perfect, I wasn't concerned about the shadowy area at all. It was early morning and the sun was still low, hence the shadow...

Asher, I agree with you, it was probably cropped too close. Below is the uncropped version, I think it was the next frame along though, I like the expression all the same.

Uncropped
original.jpg

Barry

janet Smith

pro member
Hi Barry

Yup, I prefer the uncropped version too, s/he looks very pensive and peaceful, unusual state to see a magpie in, we have them around here sometimes too, but they're so noisy!

Barry Johnston

Mag-Pie....

Hi Jan,

They can be very noisy... we have a family of 4 visit us for a daily feed; mum, dad and two youngsters. My wife Sharon has named the two young ones Steak Pie, (pictured above) and the other is Kidney Pie... cool names huh ?! We can hand feed them all except the Dad, and we enjoy their company...

Regards,
Barry

janet Smith

pro member
My wife Sharon has named the two young ones Steak Pie, (pictured above) and the other is Kidney Pie... cool names huh ?! We can hand feed them all except the Dad, and we enjoy their company...

Love the names! but what are you going to call Mum & Dad??

Our youngest son Michael used to have two guinea pigs called "Smokey" & "Bacon"

Barry Johnston

Names...

Hi Jan....

not sure about the parents, but probably something like 'Humble Pie' which is what I am very familiar with, and Margaret.... :) have to discuss it with Sharon....

Regards,
Barry

Ray West

Hi Barry,

I don't know what the attitude to them is like in your neck of the woods, but this is a reasonable assessment here, except the rspb neglects to mention that the magpie's favourite natural food in the countryside, would do more consistently what they say the magpie does as a good feature.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7316384.stm

(clue - put out a tray of bantam eggs for them)

Best wishes,

Ray

Barry Johnston

Humble Pie....

"They are described as challenging and arrogant, and that's by their supporters". - BBC Magazine.
Mmmm, and I thought it was only the 'Australian' maggies that showed their arrogance....and everyone knows where they learned that from... ;-)

A friend of mine lost his eye whilst cycling during magpie breeding season... they often cause chaos during that time of year...

Interesting, thanks Ray...

Barry.