• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

New pano player - with extended features

Michael Fontana

pro member
As I now that a few of you OPFler are doing panos as well:

krpano is developing a flash pano-viewer, with some exiting new features, as multiresolution-panos: the pano is tiled in different solutions (kinda zoomify) so only the section you' re zooming in is loaded in that scale, but within full spheres !

Tours and partial panos are possible as well, look here

Now, it's version 1.0, but you still might have a look at it.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Answering to myself…
It's windows only but really impressive and getting rid of QT and java, using Flash is much better for the platform "universality".

Great link! thanks Michael…

Michael Fontana

pro member
Nice Pano! Even with close objects, which requires a high precision!
8 mm on FF - how many shots? - 4?
Is the pano not really 180 degs in the vert. axis - isn't it?

krpano - I haven't tried it myself yet - will have soon a GUI for writing the script/actions for win and mac, as the player itself - flash - is multiplatform. That's one good thing about flash, as not all users are running with QT.

Edit: we crossed posting...

yep, it looks very promising, still it's 1. 01

Made with a Canon 1Ds3 - Sigma 8mm fisheye - RRS ball head
Autopano
CubicConverter:

Very nice! I like the even lighting (only natural and built in spot light?).

I'd additionally try and remove the internal lens reflections from the spots (mostly visible on the ceiling of the Owner's cabin pano).

Bart

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
@ Michael
only 6 shots : 4@ 90° on tripod - 2 (ceiling and floor) handheld (to catch some details for final mounting, but hence uncomplete sphere)
I used the RRS Pano Elements Package which is very nice and handy, but with the 8 mm, I also catch the front part of the rail (I'll have to have cut, what a pity!)

The best would be to add their Ultimate Omni-Pivot Package but it's another $435…

(more infos on RRS at reallyrightstuff.com

Is the pano not really 180 degs in the vert. axis - isn't it?
yes, my fault… I had only one hour to shoot both…

@ Bart yes, natural and built in spot lights :) and yes also for the lens reflection spots, just a little more work ;-)

Michael Fontana

pro member
Nicolas, Bonjour

Is it one of your first' ones? -->then congrats.
The transition from highlight to shadows - which is not to easy, as sometimes the sun might be in the pano, as well as deep shadows - you did it well!

Probably few will dedect that it's about 175 degs, only... and I'm sure the yacht's owner doesn't cares - didn't realised it.

How did you hold the handheld for some (??) seconds?
So its 4+2, which I have with my 15 mm fish on FF, too.

It's obvious to have java for the platform compatibility; hence the link to krpano.
I'll jump on that too, once the GUI for Mac will be avaialable.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Michael,

Don't shoot the pano player - he's doing the best he can!

When I first looked at the title of your message (I still wasn't fully awake) I thought you were going to tell us about a piano player!

Thanks for the great info.

I used the RRS Pano Elements Package which is very nice and handy, but with the 8 mm, I also catch the front part of the rail (I'll have to have cut, what a pity!)

Hi Nicolas, unless you want to save money, there's no absolute need to cut the rail (if you meant that instead of cropping the image)!

The combination of a "B2-mAS" and a "B2-FAB" clamp (they also come as a combined mini-clamp package for US$10 less) will alow to mount the camera on the rail a bit more to the front. I have to speculate as to the entry pupil's position offset required. This way you'll keep the flexibility to mount a lens with a longer focal-length if you need super resolution stitches. That's one of the great things about the RRS system, while it isn't cheap, it does all work together.

The above combination can also be used (remounted at 90 degrees angle) on a rail (oriented sideways) of adequate length to shoot stereo images.

Bart

Last edited:

Doug Kerr

Hi, Bart,

I have to speculate as to the nodal point position offset required.

Do note that neither nodal point of the lens is the proper location of the pivot point for multi-frame panoramic photography, but rather the location of the entrance pupil.

The nice thing about the entrance pupil is that we can see it (and visually get a pretty good idea of where it is located). It is (by definition) what we actually see when we look into the front of the lens and think we see the aperture stop (iris).

Hi, Bart,

Do note that neither nodal point of the lens is the proper location of the pivot point for multi-frame panoramic photography, but rather the location of the entrance pupil.

Ha, your post just crossed my correcting it, but you are correct.

Bart

P.S. Is the correct English term "entry" or "entrance" pupil, or doesn't it matter?

Doug Kerr

Hi, Bart,

Ha, your post just crossed my correcting it, but you are correct.

Glad we are together. It is an old habit!

Is the correct English term "entry" or "entrance" pupil, or doesn't it matter?

"Entrance" seems to be the most common in the textbooks etc., but I'm sure "entry" would be a suitable alternative if one would rather for some reason.

Best regards,

Doug

Michael Fontana

pro member
since a while now, krpano is available for mac as well, including some tools and xml-files. A big step ahead is the options-plugin, which helps to play with the pano's parameter, while having it open, therefore optimizing the pano visually and not by coding, only.

I bought a licence, as to zoom in a multires-pano is quite interesting and offers new possibilities..

Anybody a champ in coding? I went through its XML Syntax yesterday night, and managed some commands to work, while for others.... well...
icon_keule.gif