Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Digital Camera Discussion > Imaging Technology: Theory, Alternatives, Practice and Advances.

Imaging Technology: Theory, Alternatives, Practice and Advances. This is a brand independent discussion of theory, process or device. Ignore this forum unless this matters to you!

Old September 23rd, 2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Kerr View Post
A very interesting thought. Perhaps it would not be a "big" manufacturer. There are many companies making "niche" products.

If there were such a thing, what type of mount would you suggest it have? Perhaps a recognized SLR mount (even one not today very popular), on to which various kinds of adapters could easily be fitted?
I would suggest the shortest possible flange focal distance instead of using any of available mounts + making money from selling adapters for other mounts. Sell it as an open platform and marketing the adapters as fast and safe so one adapter would be for one lens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Marot View Post
Leica builds cameras for vintage MF lenses. What do I have to explain? A large proportion of their rangefinder lenses were designed in the 50s-60s and they are all MF.
But is a bit too old school (technologically): no IBIS, no sensor cleaning, no good EVF, optical finder doesn't work with adapted lenses, price. They look good but as a tool I would imagine something else these days.
Old September 23rd, 2018, 09:20 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Leica builds cameras for vintage MF lenses. What do I have to explain? A large proportion of their rangefinder lenses were designed in the 50s-60s and they are all MF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawid Piaskowski View Post

...........But is a bit too old school (technologically): no IBIS, no sensor cleaning, no good EVF, optical finder doesn't work with adapted lenses, price. They look good but as a tool I would imagine something else these days.

Then you would love my favorite camera: a curved film plane simple camera with just two engraved lines indicating ďangle of viewĒ and no viewfinder at all. It does have AF! However, as you wish, the following, (without regret), are boldly dispensed with:

• Viewfinder
  • IBIS
  • AF
  • Sensor Cleaning
  • Battery
  • Modernity

......but it does take surprisingly good pictures

© 2007 Asher Kelman My Favorite Tree, Los Angeles 2007

Itís a simple camera made by Mottweiller, and a pleasure to use!

.......but try as I might, I have found no way to add vintage lenses

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old September 24th, 2018, 12:07 AM

Quote:
I would suggest the shortest possible flange focal distance instead of using any of available mounts
This?

Quote:
+ making money from selling adapters for other mounts.
And this?

Old September 24th, 2018, 02:06 AM

Not exactly cheap, no evf (focusing by guessing distance with 1.4 lenses on medium format hell yeah ;-) ) and I think that Medium Format is a bit too big for some FF lenses so vinieting might be a problem.
Old September 24th, 2018, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Not exactly cheap, no evf (focusing by guessing distance with 1.4 lenses on medium format hell yeah ;-) ) and I think that Medium Format is a bit too big for some FF lenses so vinieting might be a problem.
Dawid,

These choices by Jerome are fabulous! No EVF, but really, you do not need it! You haveceyes and a steady hand and a brain that easilly can form a pretty accurate set of angle and position forcyoyr camera thatcaligning tgecshot you will learn to be second nature.

I literally used to shoot, surreptitiously, from the hip, pretending to be interested in something else. Most of my framing was close to perfect.

As to vignetting, that is not necessarily a problem as you can correct in the darkroom by dodging and burning, or else in Photoshop, built for that task!

Actually, in many impressive images, some minimal vignetting helps to focus attention on the main subject. Even, uniform lighting and focus is the enemy of great photography, in many circumstances!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old September 24th, 2018, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
Dawid,

These choices by Jerome are fabulous! No EVF, but really, you do not need it! You haveceyes and a steady hand and a brain that easilly can form a pretty accurate set of angle and position forcyoyr camera thatcaligning tgecshot you will learn to be second nature.

I literally used to shoot, surreptitiously, from the hip, pretending to be interested in something else. Most of my framing was close to perfect.

As to vignetting, that is not necessarily a problem as you can correct in the darkroom by dodging and burning, or else in Photoshop, built for that task!

Actually, in many impressive images, some minimal vignetting helps to focus attention on the main subject. Even, uniform lighting and focus is the enemy of great photography, in many circumstances!

Asher
The thing is that I'm not looking for a new camera. It's just a fantasy project ;-) "it would be great if..."

With Fujifilm XT2, speedbooster and manual Minolta MD (IV) 50mm 1.4 I'm able to shoot my (fast moving) kids without any problems and on single shoot.

I'm building an open database of photo gear at Productz - contact me if you would like to help.
Old September 24th, 2018, 10:27 AM

What aperture where you using?

Asher

Old September 24th, 2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
What aperture where you using?

Asher
First is Minotla MD 50mm 1.4 at 1.4

Second is CZJ Biotar 58mm 2.0 at 2.0

I'm building an open database of photo gear at Productz - contact me if you would like to help.
Old September 24th, 2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
and
Quote:
The thing is that I'm not looking for a new camera.
Then the price of that alpa-phase1 combination is not a problem, is it? BTW: I just tried to find a camera that would fit your description, especially the "shortest possible flange focal distance" part... I hope you don't mind if it was not exactly what you had in mind.
Old September 25th, 2018, 03:29 AM

Quote:
and

Then the price of that alpa-phase1 combination is not a problem, is it? BTW: I just tried to find a camera that would fit your description, especially the "shortest possible flange focal distance" part... I hope you don't mind if it was not exactly what you had in mind.
But if such camera would exist for lets say 1000Ä I would buy it this second.

;-)

Old September 25th, 2018, 04:28 AM

Quote:
This?

And this?

Actually, Jerome, I think itís beautiful. What might it cost?

Asher

Old September 25th, 2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Actually, Jerome, I think itís beautiful. What might it cost?
I have not checked, but I suppose that if you need to ask the price you should not buy that camera.
Old September 25th, 2018, 04:02 PM

Quote:
I have not checked, but I suppose that if you need to ask the price you should not buy that camera.

Jerome,

You are a witty fellow!

I recycle my camera inventory and right now I am going to be choosing certain vintage lenses to sell. I was thinking of having a more portable camera for a more active romance with a few beloved exotic lenses.

I can buy whatever I want, if itís available at a price that sort of matches what I plan to sell anyway! In this class of camera gear, one is not really spending money so much as making it temporarily unavailable!

Asher

Old September 26th, 2018, 01:48 AM

Dawid,

I am grateful that you brought this subject up as I have neglected a lot of really special lenses and your challenge, albeit a dream, got me thinking of doing that myself!

Asher

Old September 26th, 2018, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Dawid,

I am grateful that you brought this subject up as I have neglected a lot of really special lenses and your challenge, albeit a dream, got me thinking of doing that myself!

Asher
:-) sign me up for the first batch

please do kickstart it :-)

Old October 22nd, 2018, 07:08 AM

Almost there:
https://petapixel.com/2018/10/20/pix...nd-phone-link/
:-)
Old October 22nd, 2018, 02:45 PM

David,

I have adapters for an Eos Mount on the backnof my 4x5 Large format cameras. This allows either single frames with the lens projecting to the center of the 4x5 frame or overlapping stitching of multiple adjacent frames.

I could also acquire the same kind of adapter to be able to mount my 50MP GFX camera instead. The advantage is that the diameter of the MF lens mount is larger than the analogous Eos opening and the sensor is higher up in the well. This decreases that shadow caused by the angle of the light rays when the back mounted camera is shifted to one side or other of the LF frame. With the Eos, one has to crop a large penumbra, (shadow of the ring edge), from each frame taken in an extremely lateral shifted position.

This issue should be greatly ameliorated with the use of the MF camera!

Asher