• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Flower shop, advent deco

Dr Klaus Schmitt

A good friend owns a flower & deco shop. Every year he does an Advent decoration and display...

15266917313_e1eb8919d7_o.jpg

15699256040_2858b85b74_o.jpg

15266917543_016898d26c_o.jpg

15700798867_798bca852e_o.jpg

15266916623_cb53b1ce0c_o.jpg

15886551755_92c58ee362_o.jpg

Russian projection lens, wide open (of course, as it has no iris).

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

15700798867_798bca852e_o.jpg

15266916623_cb53b1ce0c_o.jpg

15886551755_92c58ee362_o.jpg

Beautiful images once more, Klaus! You not only have a good eye for lenses, but also of the delightful things to be captured as long as the camera is brought with you. How do you connect the big lens to your presumably small sized camera?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Klaus,

My first thoughts, before catching the slipped in mention of the Russian projection lens, wide open, was that some Europeans also celebrate Thanksgiving, as the colors are reminiscent of our holiday table setup from yesterday.

After re-orientation of my brain data set on Christmas, I realize that, especially in Europe, the 4 sundays before Christmas folk start to celebrate the Nativity of Christianity. Interesting that I have seen no mention of Advent in the newspapers or on those welcoming notice panels in front of Churches around here.

It seems that the commerce of Thanksgiving and the coming of Xmas retail pressure, pushes Advent into the sidelines, as far as public messaging and decoration is concerned.

I wonder if my impressions are correct in other parts of this continent?

Asher

Hi Klaus, these images are lovely. Not only are you fortunate to live so close to flower gardens, now I learn your friend is a florist. How very fortunate you are. I admit to being slightly jealous! :) Keep them coming. :)
Maggie

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Thanks Asher. As always, it depends on peoples mindset. For some it is just holidays, for some it is a religious event and for some even just the (pagan) celebration of the winter solstice which was absorbed into a Christian festival.

Here Thanksgiving is not celebrated, except by the ones related to UK or US culture, as I am through my midwestern spouse.

Asher Kelman

Thanks Asher. As always, it depends on peoples mindset. For some it is just holidays, for some it is a religious event and for some even just the (pagan) celebration of the winter solstice which was absorbed into a Christian festival.

Here Thanksgiving is not celebrated, except by the ones related to UK or US culture, as I am through my midwestern spouse.

Klaus,

Yes, giving presents fosters a great feeling of exchange and goodwill. Neighboring villages, all over the world, often work towards such mutual generosity. It must also help foster matchmaking over some distance, great for genetic heterogeneity as well as for mutual defense. I can see how easy such festivals are to be fused to religious customs and nationalistic heraldry.

I would bet that most "collected" exotic lenses see scant actual use! I appreciate very much that you do not just go after veteran lenses to see what character they can put to an image, but you actually go out take the pictures and share them.

To make these pictures, it seems, requires some agility to just photograph what happens to be about you. For LF work, there's a multileaf "iris-like" adjustable ring that close down, light-tight on barrel lenses, allowing one to readily adapt a simple barrel lens to the camera. But you are using, I believe, a compact Sony digital camera. So what's the secret connection between your imaginably huge lantern lens and the rather compact camera?

Asher

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Yes Asher, I do try and use the lenses that I have here (600++) and not let them sit around unused in their warm + dry + desiccated environment :LOL:

Hence why I had a very close connection to a mechanic who wonderfully made all the adapters I needed for those to attach them to the cameras I have/had in use (Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Panasonic in that sequence and in parallel) or for some clients of mine who wanted them (up to 8x10" LF cameras too, as you asked). Unfortunately he gave up such mechanic work and now has a heard of goats (selling their milk and making ice cream for allergic people) and he's happy as can be enjoying a much more relaxed live than before. That has left me in the dark for some time, but I have been able to find another company already, but they are not yet there where I want them in terms of precision / price ;-) For simpler conversions I have a buddy in the East, who makes adapter rings and such, but it takes very long and the precision sometimes is not as good, oh well.