Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Photography Discussions > The Amazing Stories Behind Pictures: Places, Events, Poetry, Works of Art

The Amazing Stories Behind Pictures: Places, Events, Poetry, Works of Art Some pictures have far more to see than what is immediately obvious. It's also a window and a library of whatever went before. Tell us this and so we'll be taken beyond the picture deep into the nature and feelings that will buttress the pictures and pull us to come back.

Old November 28th, 2015, 11:48 PM
Banned

Default Candles and other things

Whenever we travel, Christine seems to spend quite a bit of her time popping in and out of churches.
I thought it might be due to a kidney problem or a bladder irritation, so this trip I inquired into her well being.
"Just lighting a candle", she responded thoughtfully.
"Don't they have electricity?"I asked, showing my usual concern for mankind.
"It's for my Dad" she replied.
"He's dead. Are they trying to revive him?". I was becoming more concerned. Wellbeing is fine; resurrection is another thing.
"It's a leftover from my catholic days I can't shake." She quivered as a dog might when discarding water from its fir.

_DSF8477

by Tom Dinning, on Flickr

"I didn't know you were a catholic once". I stepped back a bit for fear of catching something.
"My parent's were, and I was brought up in a catholic environment".
"I hope you haven't told any of our friends." My concern was now coming home to roost. "What changed your mind - if you can do that sort of thing, being a catholic and all?".
"It was beaten out of me'"
"what? Who? That first husband of yours, the bastard?"
"No. The nuns"
"Oh, good thing then, eh, sort of."
Old November 29th, 2015, 12:06 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom dinning View Post
Whenever we travel, Christine seems to spend quite a bit of her time popping in and out of churches.
I thought it might be due to a kidney problem or a bladder irritation, so this trip I inquired into her well being.
"Just lighting a candle", she responded thoughtfully.
"Don't they have electricity?"I asked, showing my usual concern for mankind.
"It's for my Dad" she replied.
"He's dead. Are they trying to revive him?". I was becoming more concerned. Wellbeing is fine; resurrection is another thing.
"It's a leftover from my catholic days I can't shake." She quivered as a dog might when discarding water from its fir.

_DSF8477

by Tom Dinning, on Flickr

"I didn't know you were a catholic once". I stepped back a bit for fear of catching something.
"My parent's were, and I was brought up in a catholic environment".
"I hope you haven't told any of our friends." My concern was now coming home to roost. "What changed your mind - if you can do that sort of thing, being a catholic and all?".
"It was beaten out of me'"
"what? Who? That first husband of yours, the bastard?"
"No. The nuns"
"Oh, good thing then, eh, sort of."
Too real and pretty well sums up current history!

Well then, Tom, looks like she needs to visit the nuns again and get a refresher course!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old November 29th, 2015, 12:15 AM
Banned

One thing is certain, when I hear these and other stories, Asher, it reaffirms that ideals can't be beaten into or out of people. People must come to their own conclusions in the peace and tranquility of their own thoughts, knowledge and an environment that allows such peace to exist without fear or favour.

In my ageing years I fear that such a place is hard to find.
Old November 29th, 2015, 11:15 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom dinning View Post
One thing is certain, when I hear these and other stories, Asher, it reaffirms that ideals can't be beaten into or out of people. People must come to their own conclusions in the peace and tranquility of their own thoughts, knowledge and an environment that allows such peace to exist without fear or favour.

In my ageing years I fear that such a place is hard to find.

I wish it could be beaten out of folk. Unfortunately one has to kill all the people and even then someone else could be already infected. just one could spread these infectious memes and the ideas regenerate and imprison another 50 million people for another 2,00 years1.

What we need is universal education to immunize us. But we w'll blow ourselves up in the name of God well before that!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old December 6th, 2015, 10:25 AM

Tom

Very nice composition- I see Dante's Inferno! Really like all the metaphors one can come up with in this photo.. I just love Metaphor in art.

Charlotte-