Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Themes

Themes Post the best of your favorites in our "Themes". Brief Comments only!

Old November 28th, 2016, 03:24 PM
Administrator

I have been so impressed with the recent use of design skills in our photographs. So I take the step of focusing on some of the best examples. Here I repurpose from Antonio Correia's current thread on India.

Morning visit in Mumbai: Dhobi Ghat

"...Mumbai (/mʊmˈbaɪ/; also known as Bombay, the official name until 1995) is the capital city of the Indian state of Maharashtra. It is the most populous city in India and the ninth most populous agglomeration in the world, with an estimated city population of 18.4 million..."

More to come

I am impressed that innately, Antonio has leveraged the inherent converging lines in his chosen scenes to build strong images. So I thought this would be a good topic for us to consider. Ideas, responses and any words of wisdom to guide, inspire and educate us.

Asher
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder

Last edited by Asher Kelman; December 19th, 2016 at 10:24 AM.
Old December 19th, 2016, 10:50 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Here's another picture by Antonio Correia:

Young boy in the market

Look how the spokes on the wheels strongly move the eyes back to the boy. Then the opposing diagonals from the left and right cross behind him. Confirming the location and stabilizing the structure of the image, we have parallel verticals behind him too.

BTW, in case someone might wonder about the partial figure at the left border, seemingly callously cut-off, let me add that this is a wonderful human addition as it adds an adult, likely the father of the child looking after him. At least, that is what we are allowed to think. This tiny gesture by the photographer is powerful. It is a good lesson to folk who might want to "clean up" or prefect a photograph of real life. Remember "perfect" is the emery of art.

It's that "crack that lets the light in", (Leonard Cohen quoted by Maggie Terlecki).

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old December 20th, 2016, 02:06 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

I invite others to add their own examples.

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old January 4th, 2017, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder