• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Who rinses off their camera under the tap?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I was surprised to hear of people using water to regularly clean the outside of their precious DSLR!

We have waterproof Pentax K10D, Olympus E-1, Canon 1D series and Nikon pro cameras. Maybe I've missed some? some shoot in dusty or salty environments. So, is a trip to the shower or faucet part of your camera care?

Asher

LOLOL

Since 2005.... 3-4 times a week... the full whack... 1 minute under cold water.

Reason being, my two lenses, 1.4 extender, body and vertical grip are fully sealed, so all I need for maintenance is to get rid of the salt, living on the coast. - Was one reason I bought into this, my first system, I needed to be able to trust it! - <grins>

Same counts for the E3!

The Zuiko Digital Optics were the first, as far as I know, that communicated with the body, and besides that, could be upgraded with downloads! ( Is lense/body communication a common factor with other DSLR's? I am not familiar with C/N etc. systems/optics.)

I cover with less weight compared, 28mm-560mm f2.8-3.5 and shoot easily 2500 pictures with 2 batteries.

There is more to like about the Olympus niche product. For me it has to be the colors! <smile> Generally, the ZD Glas is excellent, what you get as a set with the 510 for example, show me any equivalent else for that price, you won't find it. The ridiculous low price and excellent glas is something worth mentioning for anyobdy considering going into a professional level of construction and engineering of a camera when it comes to withstand the daily abuse in the field! - The E1 is a tank! -

Ok, the clean factor is special as well, apart from being weather graded, since I started shooting with her, I did not clean the sensor once, and at f22 you see nothing, still!

Oh, I forgot, she has 5 Megapixel and I shoot only ISO 100.... who gives a **** LOL

I like the D3 though.... there is reason to think of a D3x with 25 MP..... and I like that idea for my next system. (NIKON: For crying out loud, sensor cleaning has to be standard from here on!)

P.S.
Do I remember that correct? Four times megapixel gives you double the resolution?

Last edited:

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
LoL! no

not under the tap! but every time after a shoot, carefully with a soft linen humidificated with fresh water, the camera body and all lenses… Salt is my ennemy!

Asher Kelman

Posh... LOL
Thanks Bart!
Just to clarify POSH. It means very smart and fancy for the rich and elite!

This is said to drive from a ship booking acronym for privileged ocean liner travelers to India, I believe. The best shade on the journey from the port of Southampton was Port side Out but Starboard side Home!

Asher

Just to clarify POSH. It means very smart and fancy for the rich and elite!

This is said to drive from a ship booking acronym for privileged ocean liner travelers to India, I believe. The best shade on the journey from the port of Southampton was Port side Out but Starboard side Home!

Asher

Was supposed to be joke... hope that came across. LOL

LOL Thanks, I am happy with my gear. <grins>

Seriously, "splash proof" design is a certified norm, and the E1 system with the pro and top pro lenses are all sealed according to that norm. I walk for hours in very heavy rain and clean her as described since 2005. No worries so far.

The next setp up is "waterproof", so you really could submerge a camera completly under water. Some of the Olympus Mju cams are build this way for example.

I would not do that otherwise, and it sure is not advisable to try with a camera that is not build to those specs.

Although I use an E-1 as well I never (had to) rinse it under a running tap. Pooring rain does not stop mee from shooting either, but I prefer to whipe it with clean cloth afterwards.

George's story does build confidence about the E -1 wheather resistance and mine so far it keeps going without missing a beat.

Kr, Martin

Asher Kelman

What an ignorant guy! There's no way that material is not stuck in the sides of gaskets. These will attract abrasive dirt and also a layer of bacteria and fungi.

The gaskets are not meant to withstand biological degradation!

Swab this camera in a month and you'll grow some very interesting creatures!

This disrespect for a fine instrument to me is not fun but sad and speaks bad of our society.

Asher

What an ignorant guy!

Don't get worked up by that clown. His claim to fame is a recent stream of 'offensive' behavior YouTube videos involving (mostly) a D3. You should see how he 'cleans' his sensor, or subjects the cameras to drop-tests, or demonstrates how scratch resistent the LCD is, or etc., etc. .

All he demonstrates is what too much money can do to a person's faculties ...

Bart

Peter Stacey

All he demonstrates is what too much money can do to a person's faculties ...

I think that's part of it. Total disrespect because I don't think he has an appreciation of how difficult it can be to get equipment if you have to pay for it yourself and have to save for it.

The drop test video makes me cringe and the rest are stupid.

Regards,

Peter

Ray West

I used to clean pc keyboards in a dishwasher. I reckon the 'doctor' could try that with the P1. I was disappointed he didn't cook it in a microwave, or hit it with the hammer (like the ball) after taking it from the ice.

Now, how far temp/water/ etc. does the warranty extend to? Now, with Nikon, just taking out of the country you buy it from, it's not covered by warranty.

So, a wealthy camera manufacturer stages some tests with a guy in a white coat, and that is sort of accepted as OK, but a wealthy? kid is not supposed to. We are an odd bunch.

Best wishes,

Ray

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Key boards in a dishwasher?
Shower's for camera bodies?
Geez - I drive 80 miles to Canon Hdqtrs. when I want my sensor cleaned and use baby wipes to clean the outside but then I use the unprofessional Canon 5d..

I guess we are all a bit wacky.

So, a wealthy camera manufacturer stages some tests with a guy in a white coat, and that is sort of accepted as OK, but a wealthy? kid is not supposed to. We are an odd bunch.

You can exclude me from the 'we' bunch. There are plenty of dimwits on our planet that have more money than brains, heck some even get elected as president ...

It's sad, really.

Bart

Ray West

Hi Bart, 'we' was meant collectively wrt the human race, not any section of camera users in particular, (but, I have found the folk who make video, seem to be far different than the folk who take still images. They seem to sort of take more risks with gear, plenty of gaffer tape used, not so brand image conscious, etc.)

I'm not sure how they should show how strong cameras are, or not, in understandable tests. It is pointless lowering a truck gently onto it, more pertinent to just drive over it. I expect the tyre pressure was carefully adjusted, too.

Very much a catch 22 situation.

Best wishes,

Ray

Ken Mitchell

I was surprised to hear of people using water to regularly clean the outside of their precious DSLR!

We have waterproof Pentax K10D, Olympus E-1, Canon 1D series and Nikon pro cameras. Maybe I've missed some? some shoot in dusty or salty environments. So, is a trip to the shower or faucet part of your camera care?

Asher

I don't do that, generally when one gets dirty I take it and put it in the washing machine... I use the gentle cycle, and (obviously) only cold water.

After a couple of bad experiences with putting them in the dryer (it can cause brassing if you are not careful) I generally hang them out on the line now to dry.

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Hey Ray...

I don't do that, generally when one gets dirty I take it and put it in the washing machine... I use the gentle cycle, and (obviously) only cold water.

After a couple of bad experiences with putting them in the dryer (it can cause brassing if you are not careful) I generally hang them out on the line now to dry.

Did Ray West teach you this, because he and I chatted about it....something about running your dog through the car wash and your baby through the dishwasher....and then of course there is always the problem of whites being white.

Asher Kelman

Back to practical!

Georg really does shower his Olympus everytime he come back from the beaches to get rid of the salt spray and sand! That speaks to Georg's respect for his gear and trust in the word of Japanese guys way far away over oceans and mountains and into huge factories with robots and ladies in masks bringing robots green tea!

That trust is amazing when a camera is a really expensive item that you cannot afford to replace on a whim!

Good for you Georg!

Asher