• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

ISO definition of dynamic range - tutorial article updated

Doug Kerr

Ongoing developments in the field of digital photography continue to draw our attention to the matter of the dynamic range of a digital camera. Of course, the basic concept of dynamic range is straightforward, but it is not so easy to create a definition that will let us quantify the measured or projected dynamic range performance of a particular camera.

International standard ISO 15739-2003 gives an explicit definition of the dynamic range of a digital still camera. I have just released to my technical reference site, The Pumpkin, an updated version of my tutorial article, "The ISO Definition of the Dynamic Range of a Digital Still Camera", which discusses this definition in some detail, after a review of the concept of dynamic range. The article is available here:

http://doug.kerr.home.att.net/pumpkin/index.htm#ISO-DR