• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

High iso? I thought I'd share this one

Mike Shimwell

In these times of D3s and 5D2s I thought I'd share a picture I've just printed for someone. This was shot in a dark hotel lobby at a recent wedding with my 1Ds3 and no flash.

ISO 3200, but pushed in post to 8000 and then brightened and contrast increased. Finally, there is no luminance nr applied, just a bit of chroma that in my preset for iso1600 (LR2)

3099313992_47a9281323_o.jpg

The print is 11 by 8 inches on satin paper and looks really nice to me - grainy, but in a very good way and one that enhances the image rather than detracting.

This is a 100% crop from the original tiff, with no sharpening after raw processing.

3098479521_cfa467b481_o.jpg

I hope someone finds this interesting. I was surprised at how well it turned out!

Mike

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Mike,

I'm really so impressed. For street and event low light B&W photography, this is already outstanding! There is such a lot of detail, for example, the freckles and the eyelashes, that are really well written. Also, as you point out, the grain obtained adds character, not a bad effect at all!

This is a welcome opportunity for us to see what one can get with the 1DsIII pushed. Could you perhaps also show us the color versions? I don't expect them to be so usable and might need more noise reduction work.

Asher

So what lens and aperture gave birth to this?

Mike Shimwell

Asher,

Here is a (very quick!) colour version with the arm of the chair left in - it's actually muich better than I expected. This has about 35 chroma nr in LR2 and about 20 luminnce - at 100% the luminance starts to look unpleasant to me beyond this point. Whilst it would benefit from some cleanup in a plugin it would still make a nice small print I think.

I was shooting with the 24-105 L at this time - this was at 105 and f4 1/40th of a second. I also used the 50 1.4 during this event to get a bit more light in.

Now I'm off to bed.

Mike

3101315030_a89222c299_o.jpg

3100478483_9254a3a34b_o.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Asher,

Here is a (very quick!) colour version with the arm of the chair left in - it's actually muich better than I expected. This has about 35 chroma nr in LR2 and about 20 luminnce - at 100% the luminance starts to look unpleasant to me beyond this point. Whilst it would benefit from some cleanup in a plugin it would still make a nice small print I think.

3101315030_a89222c299_o.jpg

Mike, this is exceptional!

Kudos to all 4 of you, You, the handsome red-headed freckled fellow, the 5D and LR2 :)

Asher