• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Indifference to the landscape

Tom dinning

Registrant*
I recently read some articles on fine art landscape photography. It was from a web site of a 'friend' on FB. He spoke of beauty and intent and purpose and emotion. He wrote with passion and experience. His photographs were vivid, colorful, expansive. He is surely a fine photographer. He has all the qualities: great cameras, although he talks of being able to do the same with my point and press, patience, an eye for beauty in nature, an emotional intelligence, well educated and an impressive web site and DVDs.
So, what am I missing? His photographs appear poster-like, replicas of many I have seen from others, something I would find in an office waiting room or above a pin striped chaise longue in an executive apartment. Certainly not where I would expect to find fine art such as a gallery (except his own) or a contemporary public gallery where representatives of our current innovators are selected for display.
The push to such photography is forceful. It suggests a single pathway to recognition and financial gain. It provides us with the emotional strokes we so desire. It defines the current trends to stereotyped postcard photography. It encourages us to compete against the benchmarks set by the judgement of others. It stifles conversation on life as we see it on a daily basis. It hinders our own digression from the norm. It lacks diversification. It records little of our cultural heretage. It has little purpose than to please.
How many fine art photographs of the Grand Canyon or Half Dome do we need to see to know it exists? Geology is a slow process. Little changes.
Yet every day those things we assume as constant, change dramatically. The route we take to work, the house we live in, the neighborhood, the cities we visit, the social events of outer culture are all under constant flex. Why, in minutes, you can observe a thousand different scenes at a crossroad. Every instant there is drama, humor and pathos. Every second we can see the ever changing patterns of our society. Every day a new pallet is presented from which we can select that which interests us, we find beauty in, we can record for prosperity, explanation, and enjoyment.
Take time to stand at a crossroad somewhere in your life and photograph it.

19570736606_2485c38e7b_c.jpg
[/url]_DSF4226 by Tom Dinning, on Flickr}

Andy brown

Tom, you've been rather prolific lately.
And across a decent range of stuff.
How many chair shots have you been sitting on?... (Weak pun unintended).
You're actually pretty good. The best of Peter Jarver, Max and Rex Dupain, Sh!t even Rennie Ellis.
With a dash of Cem (who) and Asher K thrown in.
Can I be your agent?

You're too good to just grumble off into the sunset.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Tom, you've been rather prolific lately.
And across a decent range of stuff.
How many chair shots have you been sitting on?... (Weak pun unintended).
You're actually pretty good. The best of Peter Jarver, Max and Rex Dupain, Sh!t even Rennie Ellis.
With a dash of Cem (who) and Asher K thrown in.
Can I be your agent?

You're too good to just grumble off into the sunset.

Proliferation is my middle name, Andy. You can certainly be my agent. The going rate is **** all of nothing. How's that for a deal.
Peter Jarver is an over rated landscaper. He thinks bigger is better. My wife disagrees, but I'm not sure she's referring to print size. Don't compare me to the dupains. I couldn't wipe their arse with a broom. I worship the paper they printed on. The Swimmer has always been within viewing distance. It's one of the banners I use for my FB. I met Rennie back when. She's a year ahead of me at uni. She, like most of us, was permanently high on something. ****ed if I know how she focussed. No auto focus in those days.
Cem? I'm sick of hearing that name. What is he? Some sort of Turkish delight? Asher and I are ladders apart. That's what makes our discussions so interesting.

Thanks for taking notice, Andy. I'm going to sit down again.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Tom,

Cem? I'm sick of hearing that name. What is he? Some sort of Turkish delight?

He is indeed, to me a treasured member of our circle (like yourself). It demeans you to insult him that way out of complete ignorance.

Until I saw that line I had planned to congratulate you for your essay at the head of this thread.

But my good wishes carry an asterisk.

The problem with bipolarity is that it nets out to zero.

Best regards,

Doug

Andy brown

Hi, Tom,

He is indeed, to me a treasured member of our circle (like yourself). It demeans you to insult him that way out of complete ignorance.

Until I saw that line I had planned to congratulate you for your essay at the head of this thread.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug, Tom merely forgot the (s)... Indicator of sarcasm in that post.
I'm pretty sure he admires Cem deeply and I'm pretty sure Cem knows it too.

Andy brown

Doug, your bipolarity comment is unnecessary at best.
My experience is that our Bipolar folk live more and shine brighter in their upswings than us beige bastards can ever aspire to. And then they survive sh!t that would kill us also.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Andy,

My experience is that our Bipolar folk live more and shine brighter in their upswings than us beige bastards can ever aspire to. And then they survive sh!t that would kill us also.

I was not using the word in the clinical sense, pertaining to a certain mental disorder.

My apologies for any misunderstanding.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Great points! But let me add to that!

Doug is an engineer, and a fine one at that! He uses terms as tools. All words are metaphors, just some have more than one set of uses. He uses "Bipolar" in a manner to describe the extremes of a range of logical possible positions of opinion rather than the mood swings it is more generally associated with, LOL!

Likely as not, all common "psychiatric disorders", (or more nicely put), "personalities", provide survival advantage to a community. The "daring" and "brave" soldier dashing up the hilll, alone, to take out a machine gun post, is a hero, but as your investment counseler would be a disaster. The distracted student, who is daydreaming during Geography lessons, becomes a successful research scientist at a major university!

All such "traits" work to help us exploit our environment and in balance there's a "right person" eventually for almost every situation that presents itself!

Oh, BTW, that disruptive guy who had to do things his way, was "naive" and wasn't a team player, said "Duck you all! " and started his own airline, (called it "Virgin" to make a point with his detractors), and has done fairly well!

I myself appreciate my own distractability and daydreaming and impulsivity as it allowed me to do such wonderful things and go me fired repeatedly to go on to do even better!

Asher

Asher Kelman

........How many fine art photographs of the Grand Canyon or Half Dome do we need to see to know it exists? Geology is a slow process. Little changes.
Yet every day those things we assume as constant, change dramatically. The route we take to work, the house we live in, the neighborhood, the cities we visit, the social events of outer culture are all under constant flex. Why, in minutes, you can observe a thousand different scenes at a crossroad. Every instant there is drama, humor and pathos. Every second we can see the ever changing patterns of our society. Every day a new pallet is presented from which we can select that which interests us, we find beauty in, we can record for prosperity, explanation, and enjoyment.
Take time to stand at a crossroad somewhere in your life and photograph it.

19570736606_2485c38e7b_c.jpg
[/url]_DSF4226

by Tom Dinning, on Flickr​

Well seen and recorded! The essay? Insightful and significant!

Amazing the literary treasures from an old worn out jute sack that's been stuffed with coffee beans, old clothes and perhaps parts of a motorbike he took from weekend cararavaners with trailers to wreck the landscape!

Kudos!

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
The likes of those that came before us photographed the landscape with a new vision. Discovery and exploration, conservation, beauty of the new, an invitation for others to see what they have seen. Then there were the likes of those that saw the landscape as a context in which things happen. Human activity and presence became recognizable as enterprise moved in. No longer was it necessary to exclude a fence or farmhouse, road or rail. They were seen as much as part of the landscape as a tree or stream. Photographers saw this as a new opportunity to present both a harmony and discord in the new world. A scarred landscape had as much appeal and beauty as anything photographed before. Sure, it wasn't necessarily pretty, but the photographs had impact. They encouraged people to take notice.
At the same time, as the cities grew, photographers noticed a similarity in form and structure in the street that seemed to reflect the epic nature of the classical landscape. Grandeur was eminent as it might be in a canyon or mountain range. The formality of the city scape contrasted heavily with the free form of the geology and geography of the countryside, yet, in essence, was often seen in duplicity, each scape showing its own beauty and permanency in a photograph.
What differed in these new landscapes is the ever shifting populations. People come and go and leave their mark more so than a herd of wildebeests or flock of flamingo. It was seen as erosion, not just of the land but of itself. In a single lifetime, we could compare photographs of New York or Alice springs and see the change. The photographer is now presented with new thoughts, ideas and horizons. The camera records history. It allows us to see the social impact on the land. The old landscape is flattened and space made for the new. We replace the flora and fauna with a well manicured garden and a dog on a lead.
Some see this as destruction. Others see it as a necessary part of human survival. Whatever it is seen as, it is available to the photographer to record. The challenge is not to apply the old 'rules' of classical landscapes but a new outlook with new vision and purpose.
There are many photographers out there who already grasp this concept and produce influential work of great impact. You may not want to hang them over the fireplace or 'like' them in FB, but they are worth every moment you can give them. Their treasures are presented in a different way. Crude, rough, colorless, monsters that send you shivering to a sunset. But it's just another sunset. There will be another tomorrow.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Living Twice

Caught between north and south
Knowing which is which and waiting for the glitch.
Feeling the pull of plus
The repulsion of all that is opposite in power and prestige.
Falling with gravity by my side
Watching destiny approaching at an unstoppable pace.
The schizophrenia of life within
Makes ready for another change, an alteration to nothing
Not seen before.

I'm bless.
Feeling the difference, seeing the different ways.
Nothing else matters
But survival of the next and readiness for the here after
Death is not an option
It's is merely a possibility that presents itself with passion
Life is not an option
It is what it is with little care for those who live it twice.

Anonymous

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Hi, Tom,

Best regards,

Doug

Don't be overly concerned about Cems feelings, Doug. He'll be lurking in the background somewhere pissng himself laughing at your response. Turkish Delight is my favourite sweet.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Great points! But let me add to that!

Doug is an engineer, and a fine one at that! He uses terms as tools. All words are metaphors, just some have more than one set of uses. He uses "Bipolar" in a manner to describe the extremes of a range of logical possible positions of opinion rather than the mood swings it is more generally associated with, LOL!

Likely as not, all common "psychiatric disorders", (or more nicely put), "personalities", provide survival advantage to a community. The "daring" and "brave" soldier dashing up the hilll, alone, to take out a machine gun post, is a hero, but as your investment counseler would be a disaster. The distracted student, who is daydreaming during Geography lessons, becomes a successful research scientist at a major university!

All such "traits" work to help us exploit our environment and in balance there's a "right person" eventually for almost every situation that presents itself!

Oh, BTW, that disruptive guy who had to do things his way, was "naive" and wasn't a team player, said "Duck you all! " and started his own airline, (called it "Virgin" to make a point with his detractors), and has done fairly well!

I myself appreciate my own distractability and daydreaming and impulsivity as it allowed me to do such wonderful things and go me fired repeatedly to go on to do even better!

Asher
Now, there you go again, Ash, defending the indefensible. Doug is OK. He can look after himself. I've had the privilege of being called the best and the worst of things by my mathematical friend. I rather like the way he puts me in my place. Succinct, sharp but generous. He is truly 'bipolar' in his remarks.
I translate his remark here as:
"Nice story, Dinning, you ****wit!"
In my house that could only taken as a complement from a friend

Tom dinning

Registrant*
The questions I ask here is:

Who is making a difference in the way we see our landscape?
Which of you would say "My landscapes are aimed at having an impact greater than that produced on the living room wall or a post card"?
Who of us take photographs of the landscape and can say they have considered more than the aesthetics?

Asher Kelman

Which of you would say "My landscapes are aimed at having an impact greater than that produced on the living room wall or a post card"?
Who of us take photographs of the landscape and can say they have considered more than the aesthetics?

Tom,

You pose a good question to us all.

Still I as myself,

"Why on earth can't we simply take pleasure in photographing yet another simple postcard sunset? It will be different, just as a new bunch of roses is different!"

After all we don't reject out kids for being ordinarily beautiful or even ornery!

But you are asking about what? Pictures that give us joy? That give us a sense of unique accomplishment or perhaps ones which might be treasured when we are long gone?

I do consider esthetics in landscapes just as I consider beauty in the boats, flowers, leaves and people I photograph, but I am not bound by that and often I try to include what others might exclude. I purposely try to pay attention and reference the underside of life too!

Still, in the end, I admit, that I am a sucker for beauty and it's so wonderfully distracting! Of course, often enough, beauty is a distraction. Still, I don't go down without fighting and try to bring along as much social textures and social relevance as the topic will allow.

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
I'm not suggesting you don't nor am I suggesting you shouldn't. I'm asking who know who does in the current climate and is it anyone here on OPF.
It's not a snide question implying those who do, don't. It's a direct inquiry so I might learn something of current photographers who use landscape for more than what you or I do.
For those who don't know the answers to my questions I'll assume that by a nil response. For those who do know the answers a contribution is sought.
I'm not looking for reasons why you take landscapes like I do. I already know that.

Andy brown

Tom, I just spent a good hour writing a decent response. ****ing technology won out , it went sailing off into the ether. You know. I timed out. I could log in but but not recover the long winded **** I'd just written.
Oh well, it was probably crap anyway.
Something about awe of nature. Boredom of man's folly.
Growing up in the suburbs. Awe of nature, get the footprints out of the perfection on offer.
**** like that.... Sigh, it was better first time round.

Jerome Marot

Why would you assume that we only consider the aesthetics when we take pictures?

Cem_Usakligil

Dear Doug,

Thanks my friend for your kind comments, much appreciated. Luckily, I am aware of Tom's sense of humour and I have indeed laughed at his comments. :)

Hi, Tom,

Best regards,

Doug