• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

What on earth could this be? (Visionar 60mm 1.8)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I took these tonight! There are some faults.

DSC08077.jpg

DSC08126.jpg

Asher Kelman: What's wrong?

...and what's the cure? :)

Asher

Antonio Correia

I like both Asher !
Nothing is wrong unless you have not done intentionally !
I may find a bit too orange but that is perhaps because the white balance is wrong...

Asher Kelman

I like both Asher !
Nothing is wrong unless you have not done intentionally !
I may find a bit too orange but that is perhaps because the white balance is wrong...

Antonio,

Thanks so much for being the first to come by! I had no idea how it would appear, but I was so happy to get what I got. Any ideas what the setup might be?

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Asher
Too soft and subtle….needs more strength..more character imho I know you are trying new things which is fantastic and a creative way to look photography. Keep going!
Charlotte-

Antonio Correia

It is very - very - difficult to get an idea of what the setup might have been.

Perhaps a simple lamp (for the lighting) with the wrong white balance or a change in this set in LR ... among some hypothesis...

You may have used some light (not strong) tracing paper with a small hole in the middle, in front of the lens...

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

I took these tonight! There are some faults.

DSC08077.jpg

DSC08126.jpg

Asher Kelman: What's wrong?

...and what's the cure?

Perhaps going to bed earlier.

Could you help us in this murder mystery by telling what this was shot with?

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

It is very - very - difficult to get an idea of what the setup might have been.

Perhaps a simple lamp (for the lighting) with the wrong white balance or a change in this set in LR ... among some hypothesis...

You may have used some light (not strong) tracing paper with a small hole in the middle, in front of the lens...

The light, Antonio was from incandescent room lights and halogen, and there has been no correction. In a salute to Lee's efforts at "simplicity", images were merely resized out of the camera JPGs in sRGB.

Yes, Lee, I am trying to adapt a vintage lens!

So, what is the reason for the diffuse veil of fog over the images?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Looks like a combination of veiling glare and light leakage.

Exactly, Cem! ?

I was simply holding the lens to the front of the Sony A7R in the first picture, adjust the gap by my fingers wrapped around the junction for focus;........ and then in the second used my flashlight repurposed cylinder pressed touching to get a fixed distance and finding the focal plane by moving back and forward until "sharp'.

Next I will show these pictures with some attempt to remove the veil with a trip to Topaz!

Asher

Asher Kelman

DSC08077.jpg

DSC08077 copy.jpg

Asher Kelman: Lilly
Visionar 60mm 1.6 projector lens hand held in front of Sony A7R: out-of
camera jpg reduced to 800 pixels wide and then processed with Topaz
Clarity to remove veil of flare from light leaking in at junction gaps!

So that's the "mist-story"

Asher

Asher Kelman

This is for the lens itself.

I'll add pictures shortly after I post pictures, merely jpg processed with the Clarity filter, but not color corrected.

It's a Visonar 1.6 60mm, made under license by the Rathenower Optische Werke

Asher

Asher Kelman

DSC08087.jpg

DSC08084.jpg

Asher Kelman: Lilly

Visionar 60mm 1.6 projector lens hand held in front of Sony A7R with addition
of "Macro Cylinder", (taken from flashlight head): out-of camera jpg reduced
to800 pixels wide and then processed with Topaz Clarity Photoshop plugin.

I see that "dust bunny"!

It can't be on the sensor at f1.9!!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Thanks, Antonio Cem, Doug, Fahim and Lee for your continued interest in my exploration of this vintage lens! Obviously this is just touching the capability of the lens as it has to have a light tight and stable mount!

Full credit must be given to Klaus' superbly modified Zeiss Visionar, here. His repurposing of these vintage lenses is meticulous! His extensive application of such lenses to making glorious portraits of flowers is so rewarding to follow. I am struck and seduced by the look the lens gives the images. Eventually, Klaus' seminal work inspired me to get such a lens. I risked a much shorter focal length to make full length portraits of people, wide open!

Asher

Asher Kelman

DSC08099.jpg

DSC08121.jpg

Asher Kelman: Red Alstroemeria × hybrida

Visionar 60mm 1.6 projector lens hand held in front of Sony A7R first with
addition of my D.I.Y. "Macro Cylinder", (taken from flashlight head) and below
that using, instead, a set of macro rings, meant for an Eos Camera), again just
hand-held between the projector lens and the mount of the camera: out-of camera.
JPG reduced to 800 pixels wide and then processed with Topaz Clarity Photoshop plugin.

Obviously, a proper mount, color correction and processing from Raw would be advantageous, but still the lens does appear to hold promise.

Asher

Lee Tracy

I think it is worth taking the time to pursue a proper way to mount the lens. At this moment I can see the potential in it, but I think that there is too much noise and saturation to be totally pleasing to my eye., but that could just be me.

Asher Kelman

Thanks to Dr Klaus Schmitt's design of adapters, I will be able to make a universal lens adapter of lenses of this size using the procedure described here!

Asher