• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Sunny Autumn Sunday at the Palatinate

Dr Klaus Schmitt

We enjoyed a wonderful October Sunday aftrenoon at the German Rhineland-Palatinate https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palatinate_%28region%29 close to Neustadt / Hambach (where the first proclamation of German Democracy was signed 1832)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hambach_Festival located right at the German Wine Route and surrounded by wonderful vineyards - our "Napa Valley"

And btw. this area of Germany is my and my ancestor's stomping ground (the "male side") since the 16th century, so all this is in my genes.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Klaus,

All lovely, great scenes of a lovely part of Germany.

Two of our good friends, the daughter and son-in-law of a long-time friend and colleague (now deceased), live in Landau in der Pfalz, and we have often visited die Pfalz.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Although die Pfalz (the Palatinate) is best known for its wines, it is also a center for growing wonderful asparagus (Spargel).

The last time Carla and I visited Landau in der Pfalz, in 2002, Carla was very ill. We were staying in a charming gasthaus near our friends' home. Carla thought that some nice soup might help her feel better but the gasthaus had no restaurant, and the proprietors said no, they had no canned soup in their private kitchen.

I told Ingrid, our friend, of the dilemma. She said, "Oh this is no problem. I have no canned soup, but I will make you some wonderful asparagus soup. Suzanne (in the next apartment) will help me. I'll call when it is ready."

I am not ordinarily a big fan of asparagus soup, but still that sounded like a good deal to me.

In about two hours she called, said the soup was ready, and I should come to Suzanne's apartment.

When I went in, it looked as if they had built an atomic bomb there. There were pots and pans and big spoons on every surface of the kitchen. and more set temporarily on tables in the living room.

Ingrid gave me a box with a big jar of the soup, two soup bowls, soup spoons, and napkins, which I took back to the gasthaus. It was the most delicious soup I think I have ever had.

The next day, Ingrid took Carla to see her physician, who prescribed some antibiotics to help Carla get over her illness. (It was the first computer-generated prescription I had ever seen.) And in a day or so, she was much better.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
One at a time!

We enjoyed a wonderful October Sunday aftrenoon at the German Rhineland-Palatinate

This is a huge surprise even from a scientist who collects fine lenses and hunts flowers with them for each season! This is the largest space you've ever brought us through your viewfinder!

Moreover, this is so social, another major departure from just science and beauty! The sun even transilluminates her painted finger nails! So we have feminine company that day, so you have company and wine, all the better to appreciate this wonderful view!

And btw. this area of Germany is my and my ancestor's stomping ground (the "male side") since the 16th century, so all this is in my genes.

Bravo for you and your family. I do hope they also took picture of the area and kept them to hand down!

Asher

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Although die Pfalz (the Palatinate) is best known for its wines, it is also a center for growing wonderful asparagus (Spargel).

The last time Carla and I visited Landau in der Pfalz, in 2002, Carla was very ill. We were staying in a charming gasthaus near our friends' home. Carla thought that some nice soup might help her feel better but the gasthaus had no restaurant, and the proprietors said no, they had no canned soup in their private kitchen.

I told Ingrid, our friend, of the dilemma. She said, "Oh this is no problem. I have no canned soup, but I will make you some wonderful asparagus soup. Suzanne (in the next apartment) will help me. I'll call when it is ready."

I am not ordinarily a big fan of asparagus soup, but still that sounded like a good deal to me.

In about two hours she called, said the soup was ready, and I should come to Suzanne's apartment.

When I went in, it looked as if they had built an atomic bomb there. There were pots and pans and big spoons on every surface of the kitchen. and more set temporarily on tables in the living room.

Ingrid gave me a box with a big jar of the soup, two soup bowls, soup spoons, and napkins, which I took back to the gasthaus. It was the most delicious soup I think I have ever had.

The next day, Ingrid took Carla to see her physician, who prescribed some antibiotics to help Carla get over her illness. (It was the first computer-generated prescription I had ever seen.) And in a day or so, she was much better.

Best regards,

Doug

What a beautiful story Doug and you have been just barely 20 minutes drive away from where those pictures of mine were taken!

Yes, white asparagus is indeed very famous for this region and I like it a lot in spring, as it not only cleanses wonderfully the body - it also tastes very fine! Personally I steam the spears as a whole after pealing them of course and serve it with a hollandaise sauce and boiled new potatoes, occasionally with a quickly fried slice of fresh salmon on the side and some freshly ground Telicherry pepper sprinkled over it. A nice dish that my wife and I enjoy (we both love to cook, but this is my turn then).

If you ever make it back here, you have my invitation!

Dr Klaus Schmitt

We enjoyed a wonderful October Sunday aftrenoon at the German Rhineland-Palatinate

This is a huge surprise even from a scientist who collects fine lenses and hunts flowers with them for each season! This is the largest space you've ever brought us through your viewfinder!

Moreover, this is so social, another major departure from just science and beauty! The sun even transilluminates her painted finger nails! So we have feminine company that day, so you have company and wine, all the better to appreciate this wonderful view!

Bravo for you and your family. I do hope they also took picture of the area and kept them to hand down!

Asher

Well Asher, take this as an example that in most people there is so much more hidden then one usually sees :biggrin:

My wife Sharon and I like this area a lot and actually plan on possibly either buying or building a home there (or in the very close Alsace / France), a brownstone barn conversion would be great, as we love open plan living a lot and I could even bring in my engineering experiences ;-)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Well Asher, take this as an example that in most people there is so much more hidden then one usually sees :biggrin:

My wife Sharon and I like this area a lot and actually plan on possibly either buying or building a home there (or in the very close Alsace / France), a brownstone barn conversion would be great, as we love open plan living a lot and I could even bring in my engineering experiences ;-)

Well, consider the village of Lutenbach in l'haut Rhine in Alsace, near Colmar. Beautiful! Lots of great wine I remember Spaetz Laser, I believe!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Klaus,

What a great shot of an adorable subject. I am so glad that we don't have to see Sharon "as a moth would".

Well, maybe that picture has been withdrawn. Glad I got to enjoy it before that happened!

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Hi, Klaus,

What a beautiful story Doug and you have been just barely 20 minutes drive away from where those pictures of mine were taken!

<snip>

If you ever make it back here, you have my invitation!

That would be just wonderful, I hope that can happen some day.

Best regards,

Doug