• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

House

StuartRae

I have recently returned from visiting my son, who has moved from Seattle to Whidbey Island. His new home is situated in 10 acres of mixed woodland and pasture,
(My) photos don't really do it justice, but here is a flavour.

IMG_1794-OPF.jpg

IMG_1813-OPF.jpg

IMG_1815-OPF.jpg

And here is the view from the first floor balcony.

Regards,

Stuart

IMG_1788%20Pano4-OPF.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I have recently returned from visiting my son, who has moved from Seattle to Whidbey Island. His new home is situated in 10 acres of mixed woodland and pasture,
(My) photos don't really do it justice, but here is a flavour.

IMG_1794-OPF.jpg

Stuart

This is a satisfying view for any father, to see the child's success and new roots. It's a snap, a memento, but still, the angle of the shot is powerful and correcting it would have spoiled the charm. It would seem that the builder had a great source of lumber, as I've only seem such massive timbers in telephone poles and those are treated with some dark chemical, like Creosote, to prevent decay.

I'd love to know about the design of this massive home.

Asher

StuartRae

This is a satisfying view for any father, to see the child's success and new roots. It's a snap, a memento, but still, the angle of the shot is powerful and correcting it would have spoiled the charm. It would seem that the builder had a great source of lumber, as I've only seem such massive timbers in telephone poles and those are treated with some dark chemical, like Creosote, to prevent decay.
I'd love to know about the design of this massive home.

Hi Asher,

Yes, I'm very pleased for my son; he's done pretty well since moving to The States. As you say, the photos are just holiday snaps, an aide memoire if I don't make it over there again.

Well, there's certainly no shortage of lumber in NW Washington! The posts are 12" cedar, which is apparently the wood of choice where resistance to rot is required.

post.jpg

The house was designed by a local architect called (IIRC) Richard Rhydes. My son has the original blueprints.

Regards,

Stuart

Andrew Stannard

pro member
That's one great house to be living in Stuart! Would almost be a mansion over here in the UK I think! Did your son work with the architect to get it built?

Regards,
Andrew.

StuartRae

Hi Andy, nice to 'see' you again.

My son is the second owner, although he does know the architect. Last year they stayed in a holiday let owned by Richard, and his wife Mary fell in love with my grandson.

The house was built about seven years ago, and the original owner lived on site in an RV for three years while he did most of the work.

Regards,

Stuart

Andrew Stannard

pro member
Hi,

Much as I love the UK, I am somewhat jealous of the amount of land that properties often have over in the US and Canada.

A friend of mind moved out to British Columbia few years ago, and they seem to have half of the Canadian Rockies as their backyard!

Regards,
ANdrew.