• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

TIME Picks the Top 10 Photos of 2013

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
All it proves is that images of death, destruction, strife, disaster is what mostly get selected.

Unfortunately, Fahim, a miracle of a child enabled to walk, a city getting it's first modern hospital or a women's collective in Bangladesh making enough money to change their children's future are not as newsworthy.

To illustrate the human condition, why do we need more than one example of the horrific consequences of hatred or avarice?

Can't the best pictures I include at least one happy family? Hey, I'd take a panda and it's cub, I'm not hard to impress!

Showing the knife at a prisoner's throat adds what? To me the actual display of this is unjustified and pandering to the lowest values. As evidence for a trial, it's not even of probitive value as there are no identifyable faces of the perpatrators. In fact, I'd wager that with pictures being taken, more throats were cut that day!

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
'No news is good news'
The corollary is that all news is bad news.
Is 'It's Good News Week' suggesting it only lasts a week?
I'd prefer to see the runners up for Sports Photographer of the year or National Geographic yearly roundup or some such.
'Shock' is a compositional element I can well do without. These guys are Shock Jocks with a camera.

Asher Kelman

'No news is good news'
The corollary is that all news is bad news.
Is 'It's Good News Week' suggesting it only lasts a week?
I'd prefer to see the runners up for Sports Photographer of the year or National Geographic yearly roundup or some such.
'Shock' is a compositional element I can well do without. These guys are Shock Jocks with a camera.

Tom,

I saw one of these "shock jock" fellows, but without a camera, just an open raincoat coming down escalator in a packed department store. I nearly rocked my neck turning to find out what all the women where "ooing" and screaming about! That, BTW, is at least a guy putting his junk on the line! Those photojournalists are jetted to where it's happening and so one of the has to come away with the prize, as they make the rules!

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Tom,

I saw one of these "shock jock" fellows, but without a camera, just an open raincoat coming down escalator in a packed department store. I nearly rocked my neck turning to find out what all the women where "ooing" and screaming about! That, BTW, is at least a guy putting his junk on the line! Those photojournalists are jetted to where it's happening and so one of the has to come away with the prize, as they make the rules!

Asher

Oops! I may have used another Aussie term without explaining. A Shock Jock is a radio commentator who focuses on hysteria, bad news, shock value, innuendo, and even a few untruths just to get a reaction from the public. They usually run the call in radio programs where the public either agree with him and flag praise or disagree with him for which they get a mouthful of abuse from aforementioned.
Photographer Shock Jocks usually work for the tabloids but that seems to have spread to the broadsheets.
They might say its what the public wants or needs to see.
Not this black duck.

Asher Kelman

I find this one to have a little more interesting content -- - a few dark images but many light and fun ones. Time's "The Most Surprising Photos of 2013"

http://lightbox.time.com/2013/12/09/most-surprising-photos-of-2013/?iid=lb-gal-moreon#1

Robert,

It's disappointing that neither of Time's collections of pictures is uplifitng. Surely at the end of the year, we have 10 things to be grateful for? In each of the Time series, I was left with a sick feeling in my stomach.

Asher