• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Thanking forum members

fahim mohammed

At least those living in the countries I visited this time..the Swiss, Germans, Czech for their
hospitality and kindness during my stay in their countries. Wonderful time, beautiful and helpful people.

I mostly use my 35mm lens and generally like to be close, I did not have any issues. I did have a small album of my work to show and the conversation was easy after that, to most people
i became the fly on the wall!

A small accident, due to my ( and mine alone ) stupidity was that I bought a canon D10, waterproof p&s and was in the rain in my trunks for long taking pics of people in the rain.

The camera got professionally relieved from my person. Sadder is the lost pics. I enjoyed taking them the most.

Be wise, aware of your surroundings, less chimping and above all enjoy yourselves. Where it
happened does not matter. It could happen anywhere. I do regret the pics, though.

Best

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
At least those living in the countries I visited this time..the Swiss, Germans, Czech for their
hospitality and kindness during my stay in their countries. Wonderful time, beautiful and helpful people.
Fahim, yes, that's true.

I've found that also in Nigeria, Zimbabwe, S. Africa too, but as one gets into poorer areas, especially in the cities where things are run down one is at risk. In Paris I was lucky enough to have heard the guys behind us quip, "Let's take them now as on the corner up there, there might be a policeman". So I grabbed my wife's hand and we escaped, just making it out of the shadows to the main street. We sat down at a café, breathless and gratefully recovered over coffee. However in Budapest we didn't watch our bags once and lost our movie camera with all the pictures of our vacation and the best pictures ever of villages in Turkey.

A small accident, due to my ( and mine alone ) stupidity was that I bought a canon D10, waterproof p&s and was in the rain in my trunks for long taking pics of people in the rain.

The camera got professionally relieved from my person. Sadder is the lost pics. I enjoyed taking them the most.Best
Fahim,

Does "professionally relieved" mean "pickpocket" or was there a confrontation and threat? Around Rome's railway station, there were so many pickpockets, little fun kids of 8-14 who'd surround you and then someone from behind would go for your wallet. Very sweet. The solution? An empty soda can in your pocket.

I'm sorry for your experience. However we must remember that your camera's value, even sold cheap is a day's, a week's or even several years food some places!

For these reasons I try to avoid long white lens. You digicam shouldn't have gotten that much attention. Maybe this is a reminder to use small capacity SD and CF cards or backup to a portable drive. All without getting attention.

I'm glad you and yours are safe!

Asher

fahim mohammed

Asher, so true about run-down areas in cities. Glad you came out unscathed in Paris.

Me, I was just pick pocketed!

Thanks for your concern, the wife was not with me at that time.

Best.

Mike Shimwell

Sorry to hear of your bad experience Fahim - and glad that you are OK

Looking forward to the results of your desert sojourn

Mike

fahim mohammed

Hi Mike, thanks. We are back home, and I bring back the aches and pains of mountain walking and
street roaming with me. The wife is already planning her next mountain trek!

Best.

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Sad Day

It's always a sad day to find that your photographs have been stolen. The camera can be replaced but never the photographs.

When we were on the RER in Paris there were a few muggings. One night we were on the way back to our apartment and I emptied my purse of all valuables and put them in my pockets. I put my camera in a cheap plastic grocery bag and stuck in behind me in the seat. Thankfully the hoodlum eyeing me and my husband were stared off of the train and if he'd tried he'd have only gotten a very empty handbag. I think I left my hairbrush in it.