• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Challenge: Butterflies in the wild or in an ecological teaching center

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I saw a Nova film on the journeys of the monarch butterfly. It takes 4 generations but it goes in stages from Canada southwards to the USA to Mexico each year! The Mexican town depends economically on their arrival by the millions each october after thousands of miles travel from the USA! The butterflies stay, clothing trees in magnificent color for 5 months! Then they return northward to the USA to mate and multiply for their offspring to continue this amazing cycle.

Butterflies are beautiful delicate creatures that have amazing colors and life styles. Show us you best and when you do, add a word on the where and how of the shot!

This is for any butterfly, just chose your very best.

Asher

This is a dynamic thread, a window on our best photography as are all theme topics. As such, and as time goes on, some pictures will end up in other appropriate threads, a fresh comment will be posted about that picture, for further discussion and you will be notified.

80626414.jpg

Tom Robbins: Great Spangled Fritillary on thistle, June 2007.

Lost Mound Nature Preserve, Canon 1DMKII and 600mm f/4.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
This was taken at the butterfly pavillion in the Houston Museum of Natural History. It's a great place with butterflies all year round. This one was resting on a vine with a waterfall making a nice background.
James Newman

DSC_4871-1.jpg

James Newman: At the Butterfly Pavilion​

james sperry

this is a moth, sorry. i don't have any butterflys in my collection so this is as close as i can get :) . got this when i was living in montana. it showed up one day and stayed on my porch for 3 days.

moth-1.jpg

james sperry

Macro lens?

actually, i can't remember what i shot this with. it was either a sigma 10-20mm or a canon 18-55mm lense, no converters. i currently do not own a macro lense or any equipment to shoot macro.
if it looks like a macro shot, i guess i did something right .... lol ..... thanks!! ;)

it's actually a BIG moth. i think the span on the wings was around 4" - 5".

fahim mohammed

James, beautifully and delicately rendered. I have been following your visit to the Texan museums
with a sense of the ' where are these places '. spent 2 months in Texas and never got to see them.

Hope all goes well with you?

Best.

This was taken at the butterfly pavillion in the Houston Museum of Natural History. It's a great place with butterflies all year round. This one was resting on a vine with a waterfall making a nice background.

DSC_4871-1.jpg

James Newman: At The Butterfly Pavilion

Thank you Fahim. When you were in Texas did you make it through Houston? I think with it being the 4th largest city in the US it just makes sense, to me anyway, that it has a lot of museums, and yes, some of them are strange and different and maybe a little off the beaten path. My wife and I bought memberships to the Museum of Natural History where this butterfly pavilion is when we first moved here. It is a wonderful museum with many great exhibitions, both permanent and also traveling ones, and gives us a good place to visit when looking for a nice day out of the house. I am planning another trip here in the not too distant future.
All is well as can be expected. Thank you for asking. I am still busy as a beaver looking for my next job. I am staying positive that something good will come along when it is time.
James Newman

This little guy was photographed while he was perched at an edge of no return -

84054478.jpg

Tom Robbins: Eastern Tailed-blue on goldenrod in Aast Iowa 2007
Canon 1DMKII and 600mm f/4

Asher Kelman

Tom,

Thanks for sharing this delicate butterfly. The fringe of its wing are unusual. I guess they they increase the leverage in warmer air perhaps? Or could this make the flying quieter; stealth mode, perhaps? The underside of the wings are so different from the dorsum. I wonder why each of these particulars helps this creature flourish.

What's amazing is that, for all this delicate beauty, really, they are very little different in fundamental design from an elephant. It's just the emphasis on each control switch and a little fussiness here and there!

Magic!

Thanks for sharing,

Asher

Walt Conley

Unwanted dinner companion

While taking a butterfly picture at the Montreal Botanical Gardens, this bee zoned in on the same flower. The butterfly basically bullied the bee off the dinner plate after it landed.

original.jpg

Walt Conley: Unwanted dinner companion

Asher Kelman

Walt, This is an amazingly hostile activity. I wonder if the bees sting the butterflies or there's nothing ennough of an existential threat! Asher

Tom, that guy so so beautifully colored. I understand that some insects use uv fluorecent lines and marking to guide the pollinators at night. But I'm not sure. These colors are so beautiful and probably has a surival benefit. At first I thought thisd was a picture of a butterfly on the ventral side (tummy) of a voracious caterpillar that will soon eat it. But then those feet seem to be flowers.

Asher

Asher Kelman

This little guy was photographed while he was perched at an edge of no return -

84054478.jpg

Tom Robbins: Eastern Tailed-blue on goldenrod in Aast Iowa 2007
Canon 1DMKII and 600mm f/4

Tom,

This is a pure delight. It seems like it was lit by a group of magic elves.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Butterflies - they are lovely, but I rarely manage to take a photo I want to keep.

This is one of the very few:

Michael,

I missed this one entirely until today! I'm so glad to have discovered it.

Well, most of us have only rare pics we'd want to keep too, but this one is especially rewarding to have succeeded in capturing. It's really an unusually tender fawn color and so delicately set on in flower.

Asher

Do you happen to be able to name this?

Asher Kelman

somehow i also missed this thread.. along the lines of one bfly picture. this is probably the one that i like..
original.jpg

Fabulous get up, this fellow has! The whiskers and that bog eye patch! Incredible and a beauty!

Is that really an eye or just a great marking?

Asher

Chris Calohan

This is hand-held, 100mm Tokina Macro, F: 5.6 @ 1/1600, ISO 640, natural light in the Butterfly Garden at the Museum of Natural History in Gainesville, FL (UF Campus). No flash or tripods allowed in the facility.

Chris Calohan

Asian Cruiser and Gulf Fritillary

6259809356_2e6a0f7dee_o.jpg

F:8 @ 1/250 ISO 400 D7000 w/ Nikkor 55-300 handheld at 280mm, natural light (indoors).

6251463945_7702df16eb_o.jpg

F:16 @ 1/125 Nikkor 18-105, ISO 800 Handheld, Natural Light (indoors)