• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

In Perspective, Planet: A Most Beautiful Sight!

Wendy Thurman

In the early 90's I worked in the dive business and operated around Little Cayman. At that time, we enjoyed a "resident" juvenile manta that was named "Molly". Divers would come just to photograph her; at night she'd come in under the liveaboard boats in shallow water and feed on the plankton the lights attracted. At two meters across she was small as mantas go but still an awesome animal to be inches away from. One of these days I have to scan the chromes I shot down there.

I'm planning a trip to the Maldives this spring- the area is, as noted in the article, known for its mantas. Yes, I am getting back into underwater work! The 16mm fisheye arrived today. Camera housing on the way...

Wendy

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
In the early 90's I worked in the dive business and operated around Little Cayman. At that time, we enjoyed a "resident" juvenile manta that was named "Molly". Divers would come just to photograph her; at night she'd come in under the liveaboard boats in shallow water and feed on the plankton the lights attracted.

What an experience you must have had! I have not seen a more graceful creature in my whole life!

At two meters across she was small as mantas go but still an awesome animal to be inches away from. One of these days I have to scan the chromes I shot down there.

That would be wonderful and sort of give us a personal connection with this awesome creature!

I'm planning a trip to the Maldives this spring- the area is, as noted in the article, known for its mantas. Yes, I am getting back into underwater work! The 16mm fisheye arrived today. Camera housing on the way...

Good luck on this return to the water! An evolutionary step!

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Reminds me of that Far Side cartoon!

Thanks for pointing out this funny cartoon!

Great Moments in Evolution.png

Gary Larson: from the Far Side, Great Moments in Evolution!

]

Appreciate it now as life is indeed short. There's that fish around the corner with the baseball bat, watching you! :)

More Farside cartoons here!