• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Learning to walk again

Cem_Usakligil

In another thread I had promised that I'd start shooting again (which I haven't done for the past 3 months) and post the results here. This was even more difficult than I'd imagined. I was still at home this afternoon trying to decide where to go to, when all of a sudden we had some hailstorms and heavy rain. The weather web sites reported that there would be some clear weather for about an hour or so. So I have rushed to a familiar location called Yerseke, which is the epicenter of the mussel and oyster industry in the lowlands. The processing plants have been gradually moved to a new industrial zone but the old installations are still being partially used. Since it was Sunday, I could wander around freely and look for something interesting to shoot. The time was short and I could not achieve more than grabbing a few snapshots. It will definitely take some time for me to get into shape again. As far as the results are concerned, I am in doubt whether they are good enough to share here but I have to deliver on my promise; so here they come. Technical details: 5DII and TS/E 24mm MkII; some tilt and shift used in both pictures to achieve front-to-back focus. Three bracketed exposures each, tone mapped using SNS-HDR. C&C is welcome, as usual.

f31975.jpg

f31980.jpg

Cheers,

Honestly I prefer the 2nd one due to the composition. But I still really like the skies and its reflexion into water in the 1st one. The 2nd gives a better place to the foreground, with this sense of space and loneliness.

Good to see the camera back :)

Doug Kerr

Hi, Cem,

I especially like the second one (f31980.jpg). It strikes me as extremely "rich" (although I can't articulate in what!).

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

fahim mohammed

Cem, once learnt, one never forgets walking, swimming, and yes..sex.

But I digress.

As John mentioned above..this is Cem!!

Welcome back.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
In another thread I had promised that I'd start shooting again (which I haven't done for the past 3 months) and post the results here. This was even more difficult than I'd imagined. I was still at home this afternoon trying to decide where to go to, when all of a sudden we had some hailstorms and heavy rain. The weather web sites reported that there would be some clear weather for about an hour or so. So I have rushed to a familiar location called Yerseke, which is the epicenter of the mussel and oyster industry in the lowlands. The processing plants have been gradually moved to a new industrial zone but the old installations are still being partially used. Since it was Sunday, I could wander around freely and look for something interesting to shoot. The time was short and I could not achieve more than grabbing a few snapshots.

f31975.jpg

Cem Usakligil: Yerseke # 1

5DII and TS/E 24mm MkII; some tilt and shift used in both pictures to achieve front-to-back focus. Three bracketed exposures each, tone mapped using SNS-HDR

Cem,

This is a treat! We start, "Learning to Walk Again" between tall buildings, down steps and then towards the water and sky.

I like the composition. Maybe the buildings on each side of the steps could be looked at darkened as that makes passage through them more essential to get to where it's light. It also would guide us in a more definitive manner. As usual, the tone mapping is appealing, but here maybe could be pulled back in it's final strength as the design itself has it's own power.

OTOH, everything I have written can be ignored and one can just enjoy this quick sneak visit while the workers are away!

Great to see your new work!

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hey man!
I had no doubt that you still knew how to walk!
As Sandrine I prefer the composition of the 2nd one.
However in both I would have opened-up the mid tones to slightly diminish the mid tones…

Just a guess and my 2 cents (of Euro of course ;-)

Amitiés

Asher Kelman

Hey man!
However in both I would have opened-up the mid tones to slightly diminish the mid tones…

Just a guess and my 2 cents (of Euro of course ;-)

Amitiés
Yes, Nicolas,

The second is obviously more remarkable!

Notwithstanding that, I'd wager that if, in the first photograph, the buildings on either sides of the steps were darkened considerably, the strong sky would have its match, resulting in a much more viable and stronger composition. This first picture, could then, I believe, surpass the complex composition of the second offering.

Here, many competing and diverse elements seem to be trying to be independent of one another. So perhaps, like looking at precious coral reef, one might really be seeing apparent "families" that are actually joined by happenstance of time. Fate dumped then together.

Cem,

It's great to have your pictures coming forth once more! We're forced to think when artists don't just serve up beautiful perfection and esthetic delights. This work is real and tests one's minds too!

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Sandrine,
Honestly I prefer the 2nd one due to the composition. But I still really like the skies and its reflexion into water in the 1st one. The 2nd gives a better place to the foreground, with this sense of space and loneliness.

Good to see the camera back :)
Thanks for the comments. The 1st one is about the quality of light indeed.

Doug,
I especially like the second one (f31980.jpg). It strikes me as extremely "rich" (although I can't articulate in what!).
No need to articulate every single thought, I understand already :).

John,
Quintessential Cem.
I'm smiling.
Nice to have my friend back.
Thanks, nice to be amongst you again.

Fahim,
Cem, once learnt, one never forgets walking, swimming, and yes..sex.

But I digress.

As John mentioned above..this is Cem!!

Welcome back.
Thanks my friend. Of course you do not forget those things but one gets way out of shape (figuratively and literally), lol.

Cheers,

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Asher,
..This is a treat! We start, "Learning to Walk Again" between tall buildings, down steps and then towards the water and sky.

I like the composition. Maybe the buildings on each side of the steps could be looked at darkened as that makes passage through them more essential to get to where it's light. It also would guide us in a more definitive manner. As usual, the tone mapping is appealing, but here maybe could be pulled back in it's final strength as the design itself has it's own power.

OTOH, everything I have written can be ignored and one can just enjoy this quick sneak visit while the workers are away!

Great to see your new work!
Indeed, the title had a double meaning; the obvious one and the less obvious one you have so aptly noticed. The tone mapping was a first go at it, I may revisit it sometime later. I am sure there is room for improvement. Thanks!

Cheers,

I strongly disagree with Fahim for the question of Sex. One needs to practice everyday. Ask anyone...Once a year and it's the rush, Once a day, you take your time. Ladies love that...:)

Cem_Usakligil

Hey Nicolas,
Hey man!
I will revisit the tone mapping a bit later when I can see the picture more objectively, if you know what I mean. Thanks for dropping by :).

Hi Asher,
...The second is obviously more remarkable!

Notwithstanding that, I'd wager that if, in the first photograph, the buildings on either sides of the steps were darkened considerably, the strong sky would have its match, resulting in a much more viable and stronger composition. This first picture, could then, I believe, surpass the complex composition of the second offering.

Here, many competing and diverse elements seem to be trying to be independent of one another. So perhaps, like looking at precious coral reef, one might really be seeing apparent "families" that are actually joined by happenstance of time. Fate dumped then together.

Cem,

It's great to have your pictures coming forth once more! We're forced to think when artists don't just serve up beautiful perfection and esthetic delights. This work is real and tests one's minds too!
I was slightly surprised that most lookers prefer the 2nd one, whereas my initial preference was towards the 1st one. I think that the second one is too busy with a lot details, one needs to see it larger to get sucked into it. Whereas the 1st one is much clearer with an obvious message; it is about the quality of light, reflections and paths. Come to think of it, I think I'll post a crop of the details in the second one, here it is:

f31980_2.jpg

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

Come to think of it, I think I'll post a crop of the details in the second one, here it is:

f31980_2.jpg

Now we're talking! Go further and remove above where the wood meets the edges and we have clarity!

This is one of the super clusters that interested me as accretions, like a living coral barrier reef.

Asher

Mark Hampton

Cem,

you have again started ... dis mis what the start is and again move past it.. your subject is beyond this.. I wish this was where I started ..

enjoy..

cheers mark

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Mark,
Cem,

you have again started ... dis mis what the start is and again move past it.. your subject is beyond this.. I wish this was where I started ..

enjoy..

cheers mark
Thanks for dropping by. I have again deposited my photography heart to OPF as it belongs there. I promise I will enjoy it even more this time around.

Cheers,