• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Where is it?

Bob Sumitro

This is my nephew. Took this during a family picnic a couple of weeks ago. He's looking for something in his pocket, his toy (a plastic car toy) which he stuffed into his pocket. This kid never leaves home without his toy.

Thanks in advance,
bob

4435618378_95f0fbc4a0_o.jpg

fahim mohammed

Hi Bob,

This is a snapshot for the family to share and a memory of your nephew.
For the non-family viewer, there is the handsome boy maybe searching in his pocket for something.

What do you want us to see, feel and/or experience?
What made you take this picture?
why here? why at this point in time?
why is he partially covered by the railing?

You get my drift. try to formulate these type of questions before you press the shutter
and you will have more than a personal momento.

Good luck.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This is my nephew. Took this during a family picnic a couple of weeks ago. He's looking for something in his pocket, his toy (a plastic car toy) which he stuffed into his pocket. This kid never leaves home without his toy.

Thanks in advance,
bob

4435618378_95f0fbc4a0_o.jpg

just for fun, do you have other pictures taken of this moment? Do you have his hands in such a picture?

Asher

Bob Sumitro

Sorry for the late respond, I was away for more than a week and had no access to internet, just got back last night.

Thanks for the comment Fahim.
When I took this picture, I didn't formulate the questions you mentioned. What I had in mind was simply:"This looks cute, gotta take it".

Fahim, your comment makes me think about the way I've been doing it.

When I walk out and take pictures in the city, I often have a certain idea of what kind of story I want to convey to the viewer, or what kind of pictures ... and ask some of the questions that you mentioned ... though I must admit that 90% of the time I fail :-(

Other time, when going out with my family, I think I just take the pictures without thinking about those questions. Seems like the goal in mind is just to capture the memories. I only think about general stuffs like framing, composition, lighting, which part of the scene I want to include in the picture and which not, you know the usual stuff. That's all.
Frankly, the latter is much easier to do :)

Thanks very much.
bob

Bob Sumitro

Hi Asher,

I have other picture taken several seconds later, but just like the previous picture, his hands are obscured by the railing. It shows the toy though.

4529626017_c21edc6200.jpg

bob

Joe Thomas

I think it is great. I love the expression that this candid photograph captured. I can almost see it on one of those motivational classroom posters that my teachers hung up while I was in school. :)

This is personal preference, but I would like a little more color in the background of the photo.

Great work!