• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

What's the state of in-camera auto HDR?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I was stunned to discover that the brand new Canon Powershot has an HDR function but does it a 3 fps and with no auto alignment or removal of ghosting! So what's the point? I wonder if anyone has experience with other cameras that claim to have built in HDR.

What about the Sony Alpha 550, for example or the Pentax K-7. What eV spread is captured? Do you have examples that really work for you and what are the conditions that make in camera HDR worthwhile?

Asher

Jerome Marot

The Sony NEX 5 (old model) takes 3 pictures with a spread between 1 and 6 ev and automatically assemble them to a jpeg. I gather that the other recent Sony cameras do the same.

Asher Kelman

Asher,

my phone has an HDR setting (Hdr Pro - its an app! ) - 3 images that it pulls into one. Of course I pushed it to the edge - on this thread you can check out some of the results !

it works ok in normal hands as well!

Your blend is frighteningly creative, but hardly HDR, my friend! Is the software dumb and just overlays what you shoot? Can you also blend pictures perfectly and have the software remove ghosts where alignment is just a tad faulty?

Asher

Mark Hampton

Your blend is frighteningly creative, but hardly HDR, my friend! Is the software dumb and just overlays what you shoot? Can you also blend pictures perfectly and have the software remove ghosts where alignment is just a tad faulty?

Asher

Lol - these are using the software in the best way ! it can blend works very well.. it can create HDR - I just choose to break what I am given to find out how it may work...

its flaws like most things I can think about are in essence the thing that makes it interesting to use... i will dl some from my phone later when the little yin is asleep !
dont tell me you have not stacked loads of different images into an HDR engine to c what pops out !

you have never lived !

have a play !

Asher Kelman

Lol - these are using the software in the best way ! it can blend works very well.. it can create HDR - I just choose to break what I am given to find out how it may work...

its flaws like most things I can think about are in essence the thing that makes it interesting to use... i will dl some from my phone later when the little yin is asleep !
dont tell me you have not stacked loads of different images into an HDR engine to c what pops out !

you have never lived !

have a play !
Most of my work is portraiture and assemblage of people doing things. So I have to get it right first time. I control DR in the studio!

Still, this is interesting to me for outdoors where landscapes can blow!

For magical art, it's a whole new aspect I frankly hadn't thought of. Your blending took me by surprise that it's made on a humble iPhone, LOL!!

Asher

Asher

Mark Hampton

Most of my work is portraiture and assemblage of people doing things. So I have to get it right first time. I control DR in the studio!

Still, this is interesting to me for outdoors where landscapes can blow!

For magical art, it's a whole new aspect I frankly hadn't thought of. Your blending took me by surprise that it's made on a humble iPhone, LOL!!

Asher

Asher,

I completely understand about the studio / assemblage work. Needs nailed.

here are a couple from the phone - one B&W hdr - one colour - as they come from the phone - I just downsized them.

2011-08-11-1311.jpg

2011-08-27-091505.jpg

i put together a small bookish project i will post sometime in riskit. I really like the phone as a camera. when you get used to the sensor its got some interesting features.

on a side note. goto google.co.uk and type into the search bar.

what defines and english person

look at the 1st result :)

cheers

Last edited by a moderator: