• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Remote Battery packs for flash?

John_Nevill

I was shooting gorillas at the weekend and used a 580EX/Stofen (~1.3 stop under) to fill in their deep brows.

Unfortunately the flash struggled to recycle quick enough so every other image was a dud, even though I wasn't shooting at more than 1-2fps at distance of 10m max.

So what's the best recycle time I could achieve with a remote battery pack? Are there any recommendations (canon or 3rd party)?. Does anyone use them?

Klaus Esser

pro member
I was shooting gorillas at the weekend and used a 580EX/Stofen (~1.3 stop under) to fill in their deep brows.

Unfortunately the flash struggled to recycle quick enough so every other image was a dud, even though I wasn't shooting at more than 1-2fps at distance of 10m max.

So what's the best recycle time I could achieve with a remote battery pack? Are there any recommendations (canon or 3rd party)?. Does anyone use them?

Hi John!

The best devives i know as battery/accu come from Quantum. Adaptable to most of the brands, reliable, strong and fast. And a bit expensive . . . but really the best choice!

http://www.qtm.com/?res_set=yes&res=1280&resh=1024
http://www.qtm.com/QuantumBatteries/?res_set=yes&res=1280&resh=1024

best, Klaus

John_Nevill

Thanks Klaus,

I've had a good look through their range and to get the recycle time down to ~1-2 sec i'll have to think about a Turbo series, although a tad expensive at £370

I have also found a Canon transistor pack E with Ni-Cad for ~£80, although i'm not sure if they work with the 580EX, also dont know what effect they have on recycle times.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Has anyone used Pocket Wizards to alternate between different Canon Speedlights? I have wondered about this.

asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Channels

You just have to set the speedlights to different channels and then before you shoot change the channel on the pocket wizard...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I heard that one could have the PW cycle automatically between several speedlights but I was wondering if this is so.

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
We could test it

Asher,

I could test it if you can wait a few days for the results. I am buried in tax work this upcoming week and then I can wear more photographer's hat. Maybe by then, I will have my studio light missing pieces from B&H.

I use the Quantum but if I had to buy again I would buy the digital camera battery.
I hate the slot in method of the batteries on the 580EX.

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Klaus

I see no one answered your questions! Pocket Wizards are remote flash triggers and they seem to be one of the preffered was to use flash/strobe lighting since they operate over longer distances and they are being built into many kinds of equipment as well.

Klaus Esser

pro member
Klaus

I see no one answered your questions! Pocket Wizards are remote flash triggers and they seem to be one of the preffered was to use flash/strobe lighting since they operate over longer distances and they are being built into many kinds of equipment as well.

Hi Kathy!

Thanks - i learned something new :) . I use radio- or infrared-devices to trigger. Or a long cable . . :)

best, Klaus