• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

iPhone shot

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
I was on a photo shoot yesterday afternoon/evening/night (one may have guessed I like night shots; ), in a place close to Saint-Emillion, the Pentax 645 Z was well installed with a 55mm on a tripod targeting a precise place and adjusted frame so I couldn't not moving.
While waiting for the light to evolve (it is really different each minute in Autumn here), I turned my back and saw this:

night_St-emillion.jpg

Shot with an iPone 5 wit a very slight denies in CS6​

Imagine your own story around it!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Simply magic, Nicolas! That's why we all need digicams or phones with cameras all the time!

As you might have noticed, even when I have the Sony a7R with a Summilux MF lens, I rely on my trusty Ricoh GR for this type of opportunity - and at times Wendy's shots with her iPhone, (while I am overlapping fields for stitching), put my complex efforts to shame!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Nicolas,

I was on a photo shoot yesterday afternoon/evening/night (one may have guessed I like night shots; ), in a place close to Saint-Emillion, the Pentax 645 Z was well installed with a 55mm on a tripod targeting a precise place and adjusted frame so I couldn't not moving.
While waiting for the light to evolve (it is really different each minute in Autumn here), I turned my back and saw this:

night_St-emillion.jpg

Shot with an iPone 5 wit a very slight denies in CS6​

Just beautiful!

Imagine your own story around it!

I don't have to. Your story was wondrous enough!

It is wonderful to have the wide spectrum of tools we have! And we learn what wonderful work can be done with all of them, in the hands of a perceptive photographer.

My father had been a machinist in his early life, and eventually became an executive of a machinery manufacturing business. He taught me that one should always, when possible, use the best tool for any given task, but when such was not available, one should know how to do the task with the tools at hand.

Best regards,

Doug

Robert Watcher

I won't say that I'm impressed with this photo - but an iPhone is legitimate photographic gear. I have friends here in Nicaragua that post stunning photos on their Instagram and Facebook accounts - taken with their latest iPhones. As always, it's the skills that get the image, not the equipment. Sometimes I wished I had a iPhone. Next best thing is the little Olympus Pen that sits in my pants pocket.

nicolas claris

My father had been a machinist in his early life, and eventually became an executive of a machinery manufacturing business. He taught me that one should always, when possible, use the best tool for any given task, but when such was not available, one should know how to do the task with the tools at hand.

Best regards,

Doug

Hi Bro
Maybe we had the same father!?!

nicolas claris

I won't say that I'm impressed with this photo - but an iPhone is legitimate photographic gear. I have friends here in Nicaragua that post stunning photos on their Instagram and Facebook accounts - taken with their latest iPhones. As always, it's the skills that get the image, not the equipment. Sometimes I wished I had a iPhone. Next best thing is the little Olympus Pen that sits in my pants pocket.

Hello Robert
I agree, the camera is just a tool, a vector between what one wish to show and his audience (if any ;) )
However, any tool can't automatically fit the wish or the need you may have to "bring" back what you had in your mind…
I may be able to shoot pretty pics with an iphone, but it comes difficult to get a giant print from it…

So, if you have just one tool, you have to adapt yourself to it. And not the contrary…

Robert Watcher

Hello Robert
I agree, the camera is just a tool, a vector between what one wish to show and his audience (if any ;) )
However, any tool can't automatically fit the wish or the need you may have to "bring" back what you had in your mind…
I may be able to shoot pretty pics with an iphone, but it comes difficult to get a giant print from it…

So, if you have just one tool, you have to adapt yourself to it. And not the contrary…

I agree of course. That's why I used Sinar 4x5 and Mamyia RZ67 in my studio days for shots that required that. But even in those years (80's & 90's) my 35mm Olympus gear ran circles around the big stuff for the spontaeous more candid style that many of my clients hired me for. And the small 35mm's were the cameras I always had with me - especially loving my miniscule XA bodies.

Nowadays the camera a photographer wants and has with them all the time, is definitely the iPhone or equivalent. No need to shy away worrying about standards and specs. In the hands of a creative person, the images will be remarkable.

The one thing I miss most about my RZ67's isn't really the image quality - but the wonderful depth of field and quality of even the standard 90mm and 127mm lenses. Going to a180 or 250mm was heaven. Even fast 35mm lenses in standard focal length could never match that in my opinion. I'm sure It is the same for you with MF digital cameras, although the sensor is a little smaller than film I think.

nicolas claris

Even fast 35mm lenses in standard focal length could never match that in my opinion. I'm sure It is the same for you with MF digital cameras, although the sensor is a little smaller than film I think.

Like this maybe…

_NCL7843.jpg

During harvest, picking up the bad seeds…
Pentax 645 D (the Z is even better) - smc FA 645 300mm F4 ED (IF) (deliciously sweet!) -ƒ4 - 1/15s - 800 ISO

The sensor is: 44mm x 33mm

Antonio Correia

Nice view of the sunset Nicolas...
My iPhone is just the 4s and a couple of days ago I have also made a very good photograph with.
:)