• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

What thread in OPF has really impressed you? My Pick: Paths!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The best way to improve photography is to work hard the craft but also stimulate our brains by examining the unique new perspectives and also some of the best we can offer. This is our core value in OPF. Helping someone out with a lens can save us cash and get the job done. Giving honest feedback, however, is where we each can gain the most. We really learn more about our own work and ideas by examining how a picture appears to be built and why it happens to work so well.

I recently have been so impressed with a lot of pictures here but especially with the Themes thread on Paths. The pictures cover so many styles and are very creative. Some are simply outstanding. Together, these diverse works constitute a rare photographic essay dealing with both the landscape we live in but also philosophically challenges us over so many aspects of our lives.

_MG_6750-1.jpg

Ruben Alfu : Path 1

_MG_3653.jpg

Ruben Alfu : Path 2

You can go from a simple path in woodlands or through a meadow, around a mountain path or in the Himalayas. Remarkably we even have a Nun's spiritual path added which transports this whole metaphorical discussion to an even more profound level.

Now who has not yet visited that thread? I ask, since this is one of the best offering I have seen, (putting aside that not all the images presented were exhibition ready, but rather fit together, as they are, as facets of one theme.

This is my pick, now what thread has impressed you in like manner? Tell us about it and quote one set of pictures to illustrate why it's so impressive.

Ruben Alfu

Hello Asher, I´m honored because of your choice of samples from the Paths thread. I´m also humbled by your generosity, considering the caliber of the other photos. Thanks so much.

Regarding your question... hard to pick up one, the Paths thread is in my favs list but there are many other that I enjoy very much and revisit often. The Wildlife section is specially pleasant for me.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hello Asher, I´m honored because of your choice of samples from the Paths thread. I´m also humbled by your generosity, considering the caliber of the other photos. Thanks so much.

Regarding your question... hard to pick up one, the Paths thread is in my favs list but there are many other that I enjoy very much and revisit often. The Wildlife section is specially pleasant for me.

Ruben,

You also matched a fine painting to Paul's picture that, as Nicolas claris would point out, only works in real color. It's important not to go with fashion of throwing away color just to get an "artsy" or "scholarly" effect of B&W. When using B&W, it has to be that color serves no relevant purpose or is distracting. Nicolas is an advocate for good color and it's good to look at his pictures as they are meticulously matched.

k2stkatherinesdock1of1640-1.jpg

Paul Abbott - K2 St. Katherine's Dock, London '10

I was very impressed by the fact that you were really moved by Paul's architectural photograph and looked up the corresponding Paul Cleef painting. So I'll call that thread, here, at least one of your favorites! When that connection occurs and it's so good, this deserves others to know!

Asher