• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The Just Sharing Prefix

Rachel Foster

I've found I have difficulty with this. I often overlook the "just sharing" and finding myself critiquing images not meant for that. I think others do the same. So, the question is "how to make it more salient that critique is not wanted?" A separate forum came to mind, but I often use "recent posts" and that doesn't show what forum the image is from.

Any ideas?

StuartRae

Hi Rachel,

I don't regard the "Just sharing" prefix as a request that C&C isn't wanted, more of a "here's an image that I'd like to share with you, and you're free to comment if you want to". (That's what my sig. says).

I feel that the "Critique Requested" prefix is rather presumptuous and demanding, so I don't use it.

Regards,

Stuart

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Rachel,

I don't regard the "Just sharing" prefix as a request that C&C isn't wanted, more of a "here's an image that I'd like to share with you, and you're free to comment if you want to".
Hi Stuart,

Please read this sticky. It says:
Just Sharing: Not asking for C&C, nice comments welcome. This is just sharing like showing what we are up to, casually!

That is the definition I have been adhering to.

Cheers,

Doug Kerr

Hi, Rachel,

I've found I have difficulty with this. I often overlook the "just sharing" and finding myself critiquing images not meant for that. I think others do the same. So, the question is "how to make it more salient that critique is not wanted?" A separate forum came to mind, but I often use "recent posts" and that doesn't show what forum the image is from.
And, if critique is specifically not wanted, what kind of replies might be acceptable? "Lovely"? Even that is a critique. "What aperture was that done with?" "Why - do you think the DoF was too small?"

Perhaps there would be some way to fix the forum up so that the user could to tag a post so that no replies could be entered. That'll fix those smart asses.

And maybe the software could issue, automatically, a "thanks for sharing" message after each one.

This dough has been kneaded so much that it can never make a biscuit.

Best regards,*

Doug

*"I wonder what he meant by that?"

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Rachel,

I don't regard the "Just sharing" prefix as a request that C&C isn't wanted, more of a "here's an image that I'd like to share with you, and you're free to comment if you want to". (That's what my sig. says).

I feel that the "Critique Requested" prefix is rather presumptuous and demanding, so I don't use it.

Regards,

Stuart

Stuart,

We agree that we should update prefixes when we have better terms, but not before that. I'm totally open to ideas. What do we need? Well we can start with the presumption that all images are for C&C unless otherwise specified. That's our baseline.

Why should we have other prefixes related to C&C, especially limiting comment?

My answer is the at some pictures

1. Are commercial for a client and the photographer might feel undermined by someone pulling his work to pieces, even gently.

2. Are just fun snapshots or mementos shown for fun and not to be taken for more than that

3. Some pictures are sketches for a project and the subject and are not works that should be treated as if they are to be in some gallery

4. The work is complete but they have not been released and the sharing is "for the pride of it only" and it's just a collegial notification or strutting one's stuff. This is essentially the same as #2, just a much more elegant picture, perhaps.

Is there any other reason not to give C&C?

"Just sharing", is as Cem has written but I think we might need a strict category for commercial or exhibit work which we should show utter respect for and be disciplined. "Pre-delivery Preview only" would be only positive comments.

There's at least one person here who insists that no negative things are said about the work posted!!!

With these ideas, and ignoring the warnings for erotic material etc, any refinement of categories relating to C&C would be well received. IOW, we're open to new ideas, however we are not going to change without some careful consideration.

Thanks for the ideas and feedback.

Asher

Asher

Larry Brown

Asher,

I think "just sharing" is just that and should be welcome to comments if not why post it, hard critique and critical dissection of someones image would be out of place, sure, but the poster should be ready for some evaluation or comments, would you not agree? Making extra "titles" available may be even more confusing to some and difficult to determine and has more stricter guidelines some may even dislike that more but I am just a user.
I think most here are flexible enough and understand it is not a perfect world and small infractions should be tolerated, at least I do. You may have heard the term "you can't please all the people all the time" and it may apply here. My overall personal evaluation of this forum is good, layout and structure are fine, sure there will be a problem here and there but I think you and the other mods are doing a fine job and should be complimented for doing so!(group hug!..LOL!)
I did not notice if there was an "other" category to select, if not add it if possible and that covers all the bases IMO, maybe made aware to the people here with a sticky and the poster will have the option of how he or she wants it...just my 2 cents...

Larry

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Just sharing...and clients work

Many of the people here are professional photographers - commercial, landscape, advertising, fashion and portraits and more.

We use real names here. Some of us pay for Google/Yahoo/Bing and other online advertising. Non-photographers don't understand critique. People today live on line and businesses are made and more with what is posted online.

If the board were closed or pseudo-names were used it would be different and limit who could view the posts.

Asher Kelman

Critique on work of professionals!

Many of the people here are professional photographers - commercial, landscape, advertising, fashion and portraits and more.

We use real names here. Some of us pay for Google/Yahoo/Bing and other online advertising. Non-photographers don't understand critique. People today live on line and businesses are made and more with what is posted online.

If the board were closed or pseudo-names were used it would be different and limit who could view the posts.
Kathy,

I would have no problem with you are any one else we know and respect having a pseudonym for posts that can take even the most crazy critique without affecting business.

For my own work, I am providing my service for free and am liked and so am not worried about critique. Of course, some total brute art critique could rip my work to shreds. I take that risk but wouldn't expect anyone else to. I am prepared for someone to read that I need help from someone on a Capture One issue or some composition conundrum. However, in a stiff competitive situation, this may not work for others.

Asher

Damien Paul

Hi Stuart,

Please read this sticky. It says:
Just Sharing: Not asking for C&C, nice comments welcome. This is just sharing like showing what we are up to, casually!

That is the definition I have been adhering to.

Cheers,

This is what I have understood and is the basis of what I post.

Incidently, I want to make it clear, crystal clear, that I do not mind critiiques when i ask for them, such as many of my photo threads that have the 'Critique Requested' prefix showing. The reason is quite simple - when I use that prefix, I am in the mindset to receive and act on critiques, ideas and suggestions.

StuartRae

Hi Cem,

It says: Just Sharing: Not asking for C&C, nice comments welcome.
Thanks. Yes, I know that, it's just me being unwilling to make (what I perceive to be) demands on people's time. I'm sure the prefix definitions work fine for most users.
I'll try to change my ways, but it's probably too late now ;-)

Regards,

Stuart

fahim mohammed

Honestly folks...a storm in a tea cup. If someone critiques my ' just sharing ' ( which I often forget!! ), good. If no comments..good too.

On the internet I have developed a thick skin ( thicker than original ! ). I always have the option and the
mental makeup to ignore what I choose.

One thing though..respect for others and yourselves..please.

May we enjoy sharing!

Damien Paul

It is indeed a question of respect - to respect that, whether any one likes it or not, some people are just not interested in nor welcome critiques - not because they are afraid, or just want nice comments - they literally only want to share their photos, nothing more.

Some people just want to share their photos and have no particular interest in improving their skills in photography or are learning at their own pace i n their own way, or they are happy the way things are.

For me, maybe in the future I will endeavour to improve my pictures - but my intended audience - family and close friends are happy with what i produce. For now, i am far too busy to take it on - my priorities are with my studies (Physics, Atmospheric optics), my work (Teaching) and my recovery.

Asher Kelman

It is indeed a question of respect - to respect that, whether any one likes it or not, some people are just not interested in nor welcome critiques - not because they are afraid, or just want nice comments - they literally only want to share their photos, nothing more.

Damien, there's certainly a place for a proportion of pictures just being casual with no more intent than saying, "Hi, look at this, I thought I'd share this joy", beauty or matter of interest.

However, besides this, there's a community here to feed with excitement in making pictures, technique, and then getting it off to market or exhibition if we're so fortunate. We are committed this and to having fun improving our work, each on his own journey with different goals and time table.

Some people just want to share their photos and have no particular interest in improving their skills in photography

Who knows, that person could be better than any of us here, LOL!

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF allows conversations on images with the same breadth that you would allow in your living room. Still no host wants to see other guests uncomfortable. So that's why we have prefixes so one can show images within a narrow or broad band of expectations for feedback. Care is needed to describe intent in the image when it shows a subject that might be normally expected to arouse passions or controversy. In these cases, state, "limit discussion to the esthetics" or "not for discussion of the politics" or something else helpful. We cannot have every possible condition covered so state why you are showing the images and what you want out of the responses.

Asher