• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My first photo workshop

George Holroyd

I just returned from Milan where I attended my first photography workshop. The workshop, called Carnem was curated and run by Samuele Pellecchia and his Prospekt staff at the Fabbrica del Vapore in the city center. Nine people from France and Italy attended the three day workshop, all of whom were professionals working full-time (except me, of course).

The quality of the images taken was very high. For the three days that we worked on assignments, giving and receiving criticism among the students, and hearing from the staff, not one word about equipment or post-processing was uttered. The conversation was about emotional impact and creating an engaging image. Best of all, there was no charge (beyond travel expenses, that is) to attend the workshop. The entire event was fantastic and I have walked away from it inspired to create a continuous body of work in the form of a photo diary.

I'll try to post some of my workshop images soon. Thanks for looking!

tumblr_mdfa4wOpoe1rxciibo1_1280.jpg

Carnem Banner at Fabbrica del Vapore, Milan 2012

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I just returned from Milan where I attended my first photography workshop. The workshop, called Carnem was curated and run by Samuele Pellecchia and his Prospekt staff at the Fabbrica del Vapore in the city center. Nine people from France and Italy attended the three day workshop, all of whom were professionals working full-time (except me, of course).

The quality of the images taken was very high. For the three days that we worked on assignments, giving and receiving criticism among the students, and hearing from the staff, not one word about equipment or post-processing was uttered. The conversation was about emotional impact and creating an engaging image. Best of all, there was no charge (beyond travel expenses, that is) to attend the workshop. The entire event was fantastic and I have walked away from it inspired to create a continuous body of work in the form of a photo diary.

I'll try to post some of my workshop images soon. Thanks for looking!

tumblr_mdfa4wOpoe1rxciibo1_1280.jpg

Carnem Banner at Fabbrica del Vapore, Milan 2012

George,

I'm delighted on so many counts. Last first, the picture you share is bursting with energy. I'm worried that it's so far from the 100 meter squared series that they influenced you too much, but I have no idea what the picture was made from. Is the person in front of a brightly illuminated poster? I'd love to know more about this and what were your thoughts. It looks like you received amphetamines compared to your deliberate and reflective work until now, (that I've had the privilege of enjoying so much).

The other points are my congratulations of getting out of the 100 meter squared box of your apartment and breathing some new air in Italy. The generosity of the event teacher is rare and so welcome. This means that each of you were picked as you already showed potential and that he felt the interaction would equally help him too! Meeting others in similar circumstances can be an opportunity to make lasting friendships and that's worth a lot.

So altogether you have done very well.

It's so refreshing that a teacher is sharing ideas on the basis of promoting photographic art rather than just earning a living. We're lucky he was able to do that! Is he successful selling his work anyway or does he also have a regular job?

Asher

Jerome Marot

not one word about equipment or post-processing was uttered. The conversation was about emotional impact and creating an engaging image.

While there is nothing wrong with discussing technique, cameras or processing, it was always my experience that very, very few workshops discuss pictures in a competent manner. I am glad for you that you found one.

George Holroyd

Actually, my image is just a shot of the Carnem banner, a picture of a picture.

I'm not sure how Samuele was able to do it, but I am very happy to have been able to take part in the workshop. As mentioned there was a portfolio submission process, I submitted 20 images from my series.

I hope to take some direction from the portfolios of Samuele and his staff in creating a larger, ongoing visual diary for my work. This as opposed to trying to manufacture series.

Asher Kelman

Actually, my image is just a shot of the Carnem banner, a picture of a picture.

I'm not sure how Samuele was able to do it, but I am very happy to have been able to take part in the workshop. As mentioned there was a portfolio submission process, I submitted 20 images from my series.

I hope to take some direction from the portfolios of Samuele and his staff in creating a larger, ongoing visual diary for my work. This as opposed to trying to manufacture series.

I thought you'd taken a wild picture of someone leaping in front of the banner, LOL, not like you at all!! That explains it! Looking forward to the diary, a great way of working!

Asher

George Holroyd

I just received an email from the folks at Carnem informing me that I've been selected to take part in a group exhibit, along with nine other artists. The work is being drawn from the photos we each made during one of the four workshops held in conjunction with the Carnem festival. Our photos will be on display at the Fabbrica del Vapore in Milan, Italy from January 24th until February 15th. I had no idea that this was even a possibility!

I've also been informed that the images I submitted for consideration in the Carnem Collective Installation (a crowd-sourced effort) have been accepted into the final work. The installation consists of a 6x3 meter photo-mosaic inspired by a contemporary painting. The installation was created by students from the Scenography class of the Brera Fine Art Academy of Milan. As I understand it, the mosaic will remain on display at the Fabbrica permanently.

This is a tremendous result.

Asher Kelman

I just received an email from the folks at Carnem informing me that I've been selected to take part in a group exhibit, along with nine other artists. The work is being drawn from the photos we each made during one of the four workshops held in conjunction with the Carnem festival. Our photos will be on display at the Fabbrica del Vapore in Milan, Italy from January 24th until February 15th. I had no idea that this was even a possibility!

I've also been informed that the images I submitted for consideration in the Carnem Collective Installation (a crowd-sourced effort) have been accepted into the final work. The installation consists of a 6x3 meter photo-mosaic inspired by a contemporary painting. The installation was created by students from the Scenography class of the Brera Fine Art Academy of Milan. As I understand it, the mosaic will remain on display at the Fabbrica permanently.

This is a tremendous result.

George,

This is part of the fruits of your labor! Going out and getting more work done beyond the boundaries of what you did last year and an essential part of the "formula" for progress. Can't wait to see the Collective's work!

Kudos!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Fabulous!

Are you going to be there? A big expense but great if you are able!

Can we see more of your work as a treat?

Asher. :)

George Holroyd

After much consideration, we've decided to make the trip to Milan for the opening. I'll see about getting some photos of the exhibit and the installation while we're there.

George Holroyd

Here is a shot of my part of the group exhibition, which consists of five unmounted prints from each of the ten artists, as well as a view of the collective installation. The installation turned out quite well and drew a good crowd for the unveiling. I was able to see a number of my photos in the mosaic. The piece is based on The Fourth Estate, by Giuseppe Pellizza da Volpedo. I've got to say that I'm very glad we made the trip.

734446_531119200262278_2119532024_n.jpg

419655_531120566928808_1236621058_n.jpg

Asher Kelman

Here is a shot of my part of the group exhibition, which consists of five unmounted prints..............

734446_531119200262278_2119532024_n.jpg

George,

This presentation of your own photography is simply fabulous and marks an important point in your career. Now you will wonder less how capable you a rem as you can see that your work is valued by others who respect new and original art. Kudos to you.

Asher

Asher Kelman

I was able to see a number of my photos in the mosaic. The piece is based on The Fourth Estate, by Giuseppe Pellizza da Volpedo. I've got to say that I'm very glad we made the trip.

419655_531120566928808_1236621058_n.jpg

George,

I need to do some homework - I'll have to look up that work by Pelizza! Do you also have a sharper image. I'm trying to figure out where your parts are situated.

Asher

George Holroyd

Asher, thank you. I managed to make a couple of detail shots of the installation on Thursday. The first of the images below shows one of my contributions, No. 5 from 33 Meters Squared, appearing twice in the mosaic. Up close I could see many of the images repeated in order to cover the large size of the piece.

Hopefully, the folks at Carnem will release a proper, high resolution photo of the work.

735106_531120086928856_1575006690_n.jpg

317973_531119853595546_983354845_n.jpg