• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

180 Online Photo Magazine

George Holroyd

The Canadian web-zine 180 is currently featuring some of my photos along with answers to a set of interview questions posed by Kim Taylor, the site's owner. 180 is one of many web-zines that I am finding which have open submission policies and seek to regularly publish new work. I have no idea what benefit these virtual (and in some cases, print) exhibits could possibly have, but it is something I will continue to do while I develop my photography. The link to the article is http://180mag.ca/1303/holroyd/holroyd.html, if anyone cares to check it out. I rather like the layout that Kim chose to present my work.

The choice becomes one of shunning the internet for fear of theft, or embracing it in the hope of rising above the noise. Only time will tell. Just yesterday, I found two images of mine on an art web site that offered to sell the work of artists. I sent a note asking the administrator to remove my images and they promptly did. My photos were credited by name but there was no link to my site, nor was there any indication that my work was for sale. I don't like the idea that my photos can magically end up on an e-commerce site without my permission. Frightening.

tumblr_mju1y7xVLc1rxciibo1_500.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I wish someone would steal my photos.

I heard about a fellow shopping in a supermarket in New Zealand, I think it was, when he recognized a picture belonging to one of his mates on a Nescafé food bottle. Well his alertness was fortunate as there was a good settlement for the use of the photographers lifted work.

Is this urban legend, I don't know, but recent judgments in the USA have supported the rights of photographers not to be ripped off. Actually, it's not bad to be taken by some big corporation. As to school kids stealing one's pictures, they have to do something with their unspent hormone driven energy.

But if one is trying to build a career, then one doesn't want others taking artistic credit for one's work as one is much more vulnerable and in need of that identity of one's own work to be very clear. So for that reason, I support George on this occasion.

Asher

Jerome Marot

I heard about a fellow shopping in a supermarket in New Zealand, I think it was, when he recognized a picture belonging to one of his mates on a Nescafé food bottle. Well his alertness was fortunate as there was a good settlement for the use of the photographers lifted work.

You may be thinking about this (read the comments). Not New Zealand but Australia, not Nestle but Virgin mobile and not a bottle but a bus stand.