• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Ebay question for those who buy/sell there

Tim Rogers

I've had pretty good luck buying from private sellers at Ebay off and on for several years now. I bought a new 300D for less than $900 more than a few years ago when they were still more than $1000 at B&H. I recently acquired a Zeiss 28/2.8 lens and an EOS/CY adapter without any problems and at a nice price that could never be matched at FM or KEH............So now I'm at a loss to make my next move in regard to an auction that I won a few days ago for a used Canon EOS 200/2.8L lens. I immediately sent my PayPal payment to the buyer at the end of the 'no reserve' auction and now more than 48 hours later........my payment is unclaimed according to PayPal and the seller hasn't tried to contact me and won't (or maybe can't?) respond to my emails. The seller had a 99.6% positive feedback rating for 268 transactions going back to '99. I've never had to wait this long in the past to wrap up a transaction on Ebay and it's making me wonder whether I'm just being too impatient or am I right to be worried that something could be wrong with this situation. It seems like two days is a little early to think about complaining to Ebay. Any thoughts?

Don Lashier

Assuming those feedback transactions were for substantial stuff, I wouldn't get too excited for a couple more days. Things happen - people get sick, have accidents, their internet service goes down, etc. On occasion I've had sellers take up to 5 days to get back to me although this is unusual. Most respond with 24 hours except possibly for weekends.

- DL

Anita Saunders

I once made a payment on my bank debit card from paypal which actually needed updating because I had a new bank card since my last paypal transaction. It took a couple of weeks to register my new card as I had to wait for a payment from paypal to my account before I could confirm and register it.

There's lots of genuine reasons, so don't be too disappointed at this stage. I wouldn't suspect that a seller from 1999 was making a fake auction, although ID's can be stolen.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Tim Rogers said:
I've had pretty good luck buying from private sellers at Ebay off and on for several years now. I bought a new 300D for less than $900 more than a few years ago when they were still more than $1000 at B&H. I recently acquired a Zeiss 28/2.8 lens and an EOS/CY adapter without any problems and at a nice price that could never be matched at FM or KEH............So now I'm at a loss to make my next move in regard to an auction that I won a few days ago for a used Canon EOS 200/2.8L lens. I immediately sent my PayPal payment to the buyer at the end of the 'no reserve' auction and now more than 48 hours later........my payment is unclaimed according to PayPal and the seller hasn't tried to contact me and won't (or maybe can't?) respond to my emails. The seller had a 99.6% positive feedback rating for 268 transactions going back to '99. I've never had to wait this long in the past to wrap up a transaction on Ebay and it's making me wonder whether I'm just being too impatient or am I right to be worried that something could be wrong with this situation. It seems like two days is a little early to think about complaining to Ebay. Any thoughts?

Hi Tim,

Any update?

Asher

Tim Rogers

A belated response

Asher Kelman said:
Hi Tim,

Any update?

Asher

..............I've had a busy summer and then lost my pc about ten days ago. Anyway, it turned out that the auction for that 200/2.8 lens had been hijacked and the real seller decided to release me from my obligation to purchase his lens. There was no way to pay through Ebay with his account being hijacked and I was unwilling to make a direct payment to him instead of through Ebay. I hope that everyone here at OPF understands the need to always pay for an item through Ebay and never directly to the seller. Bad things can happen to the unwary.

....As it turned out, I won another auction for a 200/2.8 MkI a few weeks later and for a very nice price that was under $400! I'm real happy with it so far as the sharpness and depth of color tones from this copy is everything that I was hoping for.

Tim Rogers

Asher Kelman said:
Tim,

Good to learn without loss.

Paying through eBay? Please explain.

Asher

............There's an embedded link that appears when you win an Ebay auction that facilitates payment for the item. It's against Ebay policy to use any other method to pay the seller directly without Ebay being in on the transaction. One of the biggest scams is for someone who isn't the real seller to contact the winner of an auction and for some pretext or another suggest that payment be made without going through Ebay. Buyer beware.