• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Enhancing OPF: Exploring Galleries in Photographer's Signature: give your point of view

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I would like to encourage folk to add a link in their signature to pictures for us to browse and choose for discussion, just here in OPF. :) This is not, of course a license to download or use pictures for any other purpose!

So if you don't want discussion of pictures, don't add the link or better, perhaps, make a link just for those pictures you allow us to browse and discuss. Just use the prefix, "My Pictures for discussion" if you have more than one website so as to specify only those to be discussed here, then a second website link will not be used for display and discussion here without prior permission.

Asher

BTW, Don't link to commercial projects. If they are of help to photographers, let me announce it for you or place it in the correct place so we don't self-advertise. If you do have a service, we'd like to help you help others wherever we can within the scope of OPF.

Ken Tanaka

pro member
My sig has always linked to my main image galleries (at PBase). Everything over there is fair game for discussion here. I'd welcome it.

Asher Kelman

Well, you can see in my signature the updated assumptions we will make on seeing a link to a photograph in your posts. Please read this carefully. I think it's clear. If there are new ideas, send me a PM.

I invite photographers to update their signature links if any to include one to their pictures for discussion here. I encourage all of us to see what favorite pictures we can find and introduce to the folk here to enjoy too.

We are trying to steer OPF further in the direction of focusing on the actual picture rather than the necessary gear and software we have to use in the process. We are still avid gear heads I must shamefacedly admit, however, OPF must put most of it's effort on appreciating and refining photographs.

For this I commend and thank you. Every time you log on, keep an eye out for that orphan post.

Thanks and let us know as you update your signature links!

Asher

Rachel Foster

Asher, would you want that "Images for OPF C&C" designation to include the very best, those we are struggling with, or something else?

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Well, you can see in my signature the updated assumptions we will make on seeing a link to a photograph in your posts. Please read this carefully. I think it's clear. If there are new ideas, send me a PM.

I invite photographers to update their signature links if any to include one to their pictures for discussion here. I encourage all of us to see what favorite pictures we can find and introduce to the folk here to enjoy too.

We are trying to steer OPF further in the direction of focusing on the actual picture rather than the necessary gear and software we have to use in the process.

Perhaps a change in the name of the forum to Open Photograph Forum would be helpful in that regard.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Hi, Asher,
Perhaps a change in the name of the forum to Open Photograph Forum would be helpful in that regard.
Well Doug, that's an idea but we cover more than that. Our job is to go from forming the concept through to delivering the exceptionally well executed photograph. We therefore are about so much more than the photograph, even though we are about that. We want to nurture making better photographs and understanding every step on the way. So we do consider the importance of dynamic range and shot noise in the deep blacks as well as how to get that great image on to a paper or wall space that will show it well.

In this thread, we're asking for people to browse the links provided so that we devote more attention to the actual picture. That I believe will pay off in how we value each others work and give us perhaps a little edge over what we had yesterday. At the very least, it's a fun experience to even spend just 30-50 seconds looking at the sort of images folk have put up to be viewed.

Try it, you'll like it. When did you last visit New Zealand, climb Everest, hug a stranger or look at wild animals in some new location? Here you can do it with no luggage, no guilt, danger, witnesses and it's free!

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Absolutely eloquent

I especially loved
the Obama edges"
if I could damn make a choice
you are one talented photographer!

Charlotte-

ps-
wished I had you genius