• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Enhancing OPF: OPF Access Speed & Resources: Faster Cloud Server Move

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
We've been beset with repeated slow access in Europe and some slowness in the USA. So we have to upgrade our server. Sean DeMerchant has advised a cloud computing solution and that's what we are going to try. This will give us 1GB of RAM and a large throughput of traffic as well as server management and storage, leading to our hosting of images and galleries.

To pay for this we will use Adsense Google Ads on the front pages and if we can do it on the top right hands side of the forum pages. However, we don't want to downgrade user experience so it will be a trial. We want to fit things in without any change in the graphic design that Nicolas Claris did for us originally. We are due for an upgrade to vBulletin 4.0 and this will also mean updating graphics. At that time, the final design for any adsense space will be made to be as non-interfering as possible.

We may also have patron membership with more space for PMs and more space images in galleries. However, these are just ideas.

I have happily paid for all the expenses of running OPF but the reality is that we need to have faster and reliable access without any "if"s or "but"s and 24/7/365 support.

Feedback is sought and your moral support.

Asher

fahim mohammed

Asher, I understand the IT issues that follow an increase in traffic and storage volumes. I am sure that
OPF forum members will extend to you all the moral support that might be required in this regard.

While advertising might initially defer ever increasing financial commitments, the reality needs to be kept in mind as you keep a 24/7/365 site running.

Consideration might also be given to creating various categories of OPF members, with the base membership enjoying the current privileges and a tier structure for others. This needs to be properly planned. I have alluded to the fact that while OPF has an increasing number of registered members, the
active list is relatively small. The base membership, while growing, is comparitively small..out of choice I gather.

I for one am open to a reasonable charge being levied on various categories of members in order to have
OPF function in a ' not for profit ' site, without in any way compromising the high standards of discourse
and moderation that we currently have.

best of lick.

Asher Kelman

Fahim,

To be open, it must be free, although I'd love to see if a tiny fee could get rid of spammers. Everyone is checked sop that's why we have almost zero complaints of spam. We run this place as if it was your own living room with guests. We wouldn't charge. We serve everyone. However if we do have a special expensive service, such as extended galleries, then that could be acquired for a minimal price. We want to grow in real photographers, dedicated to fun, enjoyment, ideas, family, friends, passion and making their work better for whatever their goal is.

Right now, we have to get to a rapid server.

Asher

Mike Shimwell

Hi Asher

I've pondered this a bit and think a faster server would be positive and galleries/hosting a real boon. As with Fahim, a tiny fee would not necessarily be a bad idea, but of course that would act as a deterrent to new members if they want to spend some time before committing. Your notion of chewing the fat in the front room with friends is a good one, and one that is often missing in the internet era.

Mike

Asher Kelman

Thanks Fahim, Mike, Sean, Cem and of course Nicolas for giving your various opinions and ideas. This matter is still open. However, we are definitely moving to faster service.
Not today! There's a lot to do to make it go smoothly. I'll order the service and then Sean DeMerchant will put a copy of OPF database on vBulletin on the new server and get it tested. When we are sure it's stable, we'll switch over.

Well fit in Google adsense where it can work and have paypal donations and see what happens. Meanwhile, I don't need to institute any other changes. We do want adequate space to host all the pictures posted and a beautiful prestige gallery for free for everyone, if possible. That's what I'm hoping for.

We want quality not quantity and yes, friends getting together in a front room and enjoying each others work and ideas to do even better.

Thanks for your encouragement and support.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Well fit in Google adsense where it can work and have paypal donations and see what happens. Meanwhile, I don't need to institute any other changes.

Let me just clarify that exactly this is all we are doing right now. Next comes ideas and wishes, open for discussion. I expressed an idea that I have long thought about.

We do want adequate space to host all the pictures posted and a beautiful prestige gallery for free for everyone, if possible. That's what I'm hoping for.

Now, although I have my own wishes, I want to hear other opinions. What would be good and what would be pitfalls. Can we consider this in the context of my final comment

We want quality not quantity and yes, friends getting together in a front room and enjoying each others work and ideas to do even better.

I'd really like to hear any ways in which elegant fine art galleries might be helpful to the serious photographer. What if they were curated?

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Donation

Asher,

Why don't we just open a paypal account for donations or Google Checkout. People can pay a modest sum if they like to support the OPF endeavor. You would need a bank account for OPF to do that. We can set it up as a "Club" so there isn't a taxable event for anyone. Bookkeeping for this is realtively easy.

Happy to discuss this if you want over the phone since it's been AGES.