• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Research station on Mars?

Doug Kerr

An "amateur astronomer", David Martines, called attention to a feature on Google Earth: Mars (an aspect of Google Earth) that he says looks like is constructed of what seem to be "Quonset Hut" type structures, overall 700 ft long by 150 ft wide.

He has dubbed it "Bio Station Alpha".

We see it here from my Google Mars:

Bio_Station_Alpha_001.jpg

NASA/USGS: Bio Station Alpha
via Google Mars (PD)​

Its long axis appears to be almost precisely east-west.

The center of the array is at approximately:

lat 71.8221
lon -29.5518

Very interesting.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Here is a link to an article describing how it is fairly certain that the "object" seen on the Google Earth: Mars shot is an artifact of a data transmission error in the source image.

http://www.universetoday.com/86497/proof-bio-station-alpha-is-just-an-image-artifact/

Of course, I hate pieces whose headline includes "Proof!", but that's how the popular press works.

Moving to the actual sphere of professional comment, particularly irritating (but typical) is the emphasis given in the comment by a researcher familiar with the imaging program on the fact that the people involved in officially reviewing the images all have advanced degrees.

"Hey, dad, what's that here in the corner of the picture?"
"Hush, Billy, until you at least have a master's degree."

"Sadly, Captain Columbus does not hold any pertinent academic credentials."

In any case, I'm not a big conspiracy theorist, so I'm willing to accept that no installation constructed by living creatures has in fact (yet) been discovered on Mars.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Well, now that I've poked fun at emphasis on advanced degrees (some may think so as to deflect attention from the fact that I reported - not excitedly, I might point out - a bum steer), I'll tell an anecdote to a similar end.

Quite a while ago, I was heavily involved, as a representative of the telephone industry, in the industry standards work that resulted in the development of ASCII and several collateral standards.

One major computer company that was heavily involved (I won't at this tIme Be naMing it) was thought by some to actually be working to prevent the emergence of the ASCII standard for various reasons of marketing strategy.

In any case, they often invited to our discussion sessions members of their research laboratories, who would present "papers" on various issues that were before the committee. Often, these seemed to cast doubts on the principles on which the work was proceeding, on a very non-political, institutional basis, of course.

They were always introduced as "Dr. John Smith of our research laboratories." That hardly impressed the members, many of whom held advanced degrees.

At one meeting, the fellow that was to make such a presentation in the afternoon sat next to me. During a morning break, he said to me, "Gosh! I've never given a presentation to such a body before. I'm a little nervous." I assured him that there was certainly no need for that - this wasn't the Royal Academy of Science!

He said, "Well, I'm unsure about the protocol here. How do the members address one another, or refer to visitors?"

I said, "Oh we just reference everybody by their first names - except for those that are introduced as 'Doctor'. We call them 'Mister' ".

He nodded, and then excused himself and went to speak briefly to the head of his company's delegation.

That afternoon, for his presentation, he was introduced as "James Jones of our research laboratories".

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Here is a crop from the original image of that region (200x150 px, expanded to 600x450 px for presentation here):

Bio_Station_Alpha_002-C200R600.jpg

Original Mars Express HRSC image of the location in question on Mars. Credit: ESA​

The image as it appears on Google Earth:Mars has of course been further processed, compression being in the chain, leading to the "more interesting" artifact we saw earlier.

Evidently just such data error bursts are a typical result of a cosmic ray event at the receiving station.

In a nice Freudian slip, the article in Universe Today quotes the scientist as saying, “This looks like a comic ray hit,” [Emphasis added. -DAK]

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Original Mars Express HRSC image of the location in question on Mars. Credit: ESA​

The image as it appears on Google Earth:Mars has of course been further processed, compression being in the chain, leading to the "more interesting" artifact we saw earlier.

Evidently just such data error bursts are a typical result of a cosmic ray event at the receiving station.

So they go to you too, Doug! I never thought that could happen! :)

Asher

Ruben Alfu

Here is a crop from the original image of that region (200x150 px, expanded to 600x450 px for presentation here):

Doug,

This looks like "4" in Morse code, and then Mars happens to be the fourth planet... it's all clear to me.