• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

which set would you carry..?

fahim mohammed

Need advice to choose between the following 2 systems:

1. M8 + cron 28 asph + cron 75 asph

2. D700 + zeiss 35/2 + nikon 85/1.4

shall throw in a lux 50 asph or a nikon 50/1.4

One of these sets shall accompany me to Nepal..5/Nov.

Advice/suggestions gratefully solicited.

Best.

Daniel Buck

Depends on what I'm shooting and what I feel like shooting with. I've got about 5 cameras (each with at least 2 different setups of lenses and stuff) that I shoot with regularly, it just depends on what I want to do and what I'm shooting :)

fahim mohammed

Environmental,street, people and a bit of landscape.

Depends on what I'm shooting and what I feel like shooting with. I've got about 5 cameras (each with at least 2 different setups of lenses and stuff) that I shoot with regularly, it just depends on what I want to do and what I'm shooting :)

Alain Briot

pro member
Showing us some examples of your photography would help us make an informed recommendation :) The same equipment can be used to many ends...

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Bonsoir Alain

Fahim has posted a lot of images in OPF. Many are really remarkable…

Here are the posts y Fahim in OPF

@Fahim: Sorry. Can't help there! but I wonder how a skiled photog as you are is asking…
Do you have already set some pros and cons in regards to these 2 kombos?

Alain Briot

pro member
I wonder how a skiled photog as you are is asking…
Do you have already set some pros and cons in regards to these 2 kombos?

That's also my question. BTW the link doesn't work but that's not really the issue here as Fahim can easily upload a few examples of what he does.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Need advice to choose between the following 2 systems:

1. M8 + cron 28 asph + cron 75 asph

2. D700 + zeiss 35/2 + nikon 85/1.4

shall throw in a lux 50 asph or a nikon 50/1.4

One of these sets shall accompany me to Nepal..5/Nov.

Advice/suggestions gratefully solicited.

Best.
Hi Fahim,

In the first case you have 28 mm superior flare resistant glass with a multiplier factor of the camera to give you a good wide street lens. The second lens gives you reach enough for most scenes in landscape, portrait and travel. Both lenses can be used with overlapping images to make wider images. The advantage is that the camera is less socially obvious and therefore one take pictures with less disturbance.

The Nikon, however, looking past the bulk factor, is far more agile, being able to look through shadows and no matter what the light, acquire focus and get the image.

In Nepal, most of the pictures will be during the day, so the Leica M8 will be fine. Manual focus is perfect so I see no difficulties for most of the time. Frankly a Can G9 or G10 would be perfect for the nights shots. I'd even go so far to sat that you could manage with just the 28mm Cron! Where there are markets and all sorts of people milling around, the large cameras attract too much attention.

Will you also have flash?

I have always travelled with heavy Cameras, like Bronicas to 1DII, but frankly, the Leica M8 for daylight and a low light capable digicam as a back up would be my first choice.

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
That's also my question. BTW the link doesn't work but that's not really the issue here as Fahim can easily upload a few examples of what he does.

Hi Alain
the link is not working as I guess it is related to my session, anyway it was the result of the search thru Fahim's public profile in OPF/statistics "Find all posts by fahim mohammed".
They almost all have at least one image per post…

Jack_Flesher

Easy for me -- I'd go with the M. IMO the files are a *bunch* better to work with, not to mention the system itself is a lot more compact and lighter in weight. My three-lens kit would be the 28 Cron, 50 Pre-Lux and 21 Elmarit Asph.

Downside is it doesn't have AF and doesn't have the same high-ISO capability as the Nikon, but then you can still get some interesting compositions hand-held at long shutter speeds. Here is one handheld with the 28 Cron, 0.7 second @ f2.8 ISO 640 pushed to effective 1600:

bellydancer1.jpg

fahim mohammed

Hi Asher,

In a previous related post, I had requested for some inspiration and one particular response got me
re-analyzing my normal choice. This post was just to reassure myself about my original intentions
to restrict myself to the M8. You have just made the decision for me.

Thanks.

p.s What's a flash?!

fahim mohammed

Hi Alain,

Thanks for stopping by.

http://umdah.zenfolio.com/p172275161

http://umdah.zenfolio.com/p289724959

http://umdah.zenfolio.com/p397772901

Please excuse me for the repition in the galleries and/or clutter.

Nicolas,

the pros of the nikon are low light ability. the cons ..cons..weight.

Thanks you folks. Appreciate your help.

fahim mohammed

Jack, thanks for stopping by. Appreciate the attached pics. Yup..weight against low light is what I too
am considering. But as Asher mentions, plenty daylight where I am headed.

Best.