• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: During the week-end

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
During the week-end, one can get a free ride on the Garonne river in Bordeaux…

Why fly or swim if you can get a free ride and admire yourself in the mirror with some friends?

Severe crop of a 500 mm shot at ƒ4:

_45R9380.jpg

Rachel Foster

I would have thought one would need a much smaller aperture (perhaps f/7.0). This is helpful to see what various f/stops produce.

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Nice!

Nicolas,

I recall a day on the Garonne when my cruise ship sailed into Bordeaux - before OPF - in 2006. The sides of the river were lined with beautiful peole greeting us. The ships can only make that trek once a year when the river is at the right height to allow a big ship to clear the bottom with it's azipod system.

We dined on our verandah that night with a bottle of wine from St. Emillion, waving back at the people watching us. I will have to look at my files and see if I got any photos of that special day. I am sorry we did not meet then. C'est Dommage!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I would have thought one would need a much smaller aperture (perhaps f/7.0). This is helpful to see what various f/stops produce.

Hi Rachel,

The birds are in a straight line so the DOF doesn't need to be great! It's a "severe crop of 500mm at f4", so likely the area out from this is softer. This is a good thing since it makes what Nicolas has chosen as the subject of greatest interest, the most important.

Nicolas,

This so so pastoral. You and Marine deserve a break. We should do this as much as possible to get a rest and respite from the harshness of a commercial world. I am enjoying your moments with you, even though we are so far away.

The longer horizontal format add to the restful sense of it. Great job/ I'm glad to see more use of shapes that go with the scene instead of imprisoning and restrcting things we love to predesigned templates. This simply would not fit in an 8x10 format!

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Bordeaux Snpahot

515537073_SqGCq-M.jpg

I went through my catalog of images from my day on the Garonne on the sail into Bordeaux in 2006 but all I saw of interest was the Boissons warehouse. But I imaging that a weekend in Bordeaux might include a visit here:

nicolas claris

515537073_SqGCq-M.jpg

I went through my catalog of images from my day on the Garonne on the sail into Bordeaux in 2006 but all I saw of interest was the Boissons warehouse. But I imaging that a weekend in Bordeaux might include a visit here:

Hey Kathy
this is just about a 1/4 of mile from our place!
This is the Saint-André Cathedral (read more), close to the Pey Berland tower.

Seen from the other side (from our home) at night:

_G8A2184.jpg

nicolas claris

This so so pastoral. You and Marine deserve a break. We should do this as much as possible to get a rest and respite from the harshness of a commercial world. I am enjoying your moments with you, even though we are so far away.

Thanks Asher, yes we do!
and we just come back from a 24hours trip at a friend's house in the Dordogne, eating good food and drinking… good wineS!

I agree, it appeard lately to me, that when I need a rest, doing some photography of my imediate surroundings may be a very good relaxing time…

nicolas claris

Hi Rachel,

The birds are in a straight line so the DOF doesn't need to be great! It's a "severe crop of 500mm at f4", so likely the area out from this is softer. This is a good thing since it makes what Nicolas has chosen as the subject of greatest interest, the most important.

Yes, and I would add that when shooting handheld with such a lens, it's better to use the widest apperture possible. Better shallow DOF than motion blurred…
I'll post tomorrow the FF of the image…