• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Emotive Impact

fahim mohammed

It is interesting how different photographers affect our emotions in various ways. Here are two
photographers whose work I admire.

Which ONE of these two photographer's work has a greater impact on you ( or neither one ) ?

1. www.petesouza.com

2. www.tomstoddart.com

3. Neither

Choose one only please. If you want to explain your choice, you are welcome.

Thanks you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy brown

Fahim, Souza's haunting face in the venetian blinds was awesome and the other guy, the real estae salesman, was only about par for the course.

I liked some of Souza's work but probably more for just the subject matter and not so much for his technique or abilities. It presents some good reminders that no matter what, things most likely will never change. The second link took me to a realty company, not a photog's website, so I cannot comment on that one.
James

fahim mohammed

Hi Andy, James..

The second link works ok here. It definitely is not a real estate broker. Pls try and let me know.

Thanks.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Fahim,

I looked at both. in fact I have spent quite a lot of time with both. Souza is obviously very competent and is work gives Obama an air of special quality as if Kennedy were still with us. In a way it's an extension of a "Camelot" here. The poses and attitude or Obama's, the opportunity was carved out by and for Souza.

Similarly, Tom Stoddard made his own name, attaching himself to the terrible news stories. both would be great photographers without the Obama factor in the first and the human tragedy factors in the second case. However, it's the fame of the subjects that provide much of the energy of each collection.

Given the choice of one of them, I'd go with Stoddard for the skill in using light so well under the most stressful conditions.

Asher

Andy brown

Fahim, the link is working now.

I'll have a good look when I've got time, just heading out to dinner now.

I really thought you'd put the real estate photographer in as a prank, which really tickled my fancy.

The contrast between Souza and some hack from the 'burbs was quite funny.

fahim mohammed

Hey Andy, I would be the last one peddling mortgages to folks right now :)

Have a nice dinner..( what you having? )

Fahim, the link is working now.

I'll have a good look when I've got time, just heading out to dinner now.

I really thought you'd put the real estate photographer in as a prank, which really tickled my fancy.

The contrast between Souza and some hack from the 'burbs was quite funny.

Clayton Lofgren

For pure impact it is hard to beat Stoddart, though it can be depressing to spend too much time with him.
Souza´s Road to Kabul is closer to what I like- a more optomistic look at tough situations.

Andy brown

Hey Andy, I would be the last one peddling mortgages to folks right now :)

Have a nice dinner..( what you having? )

Fahim, dinner was awesome, I had lightly seared tuna then twice cooked duck and a Yerring shiraz cabernet all superb.

I had achance to look at Stoddart's work as well and it's really good. I found Souza's more artistic and poignant somehow.

The shot ( in the 6x7 category) of the upturned car and the bent/smashed roadsign for example was brilliant in my eyes. Likewise the image of the dilapidated house with the blinds forming a metaphorical face of equal decrepitude was simply stunning.