• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: Les Manoeuvres d'Austerlitz

Hi Folks,

Today is October 12th, the year is 1804.

Earlier in the year French General Auguste de Marmont has been ordered by Napoleon Bonaparte to prepare an army in the low countries for an invasion of England. General De Marmont has selected a central location in the "Batavian Republic" (proclaimed by William V of Holland after he fled to England from the French invasion), on a hill side that was a remnent of the last Ice age. The location of the camp was situated at the highest point between the villages of Woudenberg, Driebergen, and Zeist. The troops he assembled and trained were some 18,000 men strong.

On Sundays, every 14 days, there were large manoeuvers under fire, with guns and canons that were actually used. That spectacle drew each time

thousands of spectators from a wide area, with people arriving by stage coach or boat after sometimes several days of travel. Merchants seized the opportunity, and many settled in the surroundings of the camp. There were cofee houses, inns, pubs, stables, dance halls, shops, etc.
There was also entertainment for the troops, such as a theater called "De Comedie" with 1500 seats. It featured French commedians, horse plays, Italian rope dancers, and musicians on organ and lute. A soldier wrote home to his parents that nowhere had he experienced more happiness, joy, and pleasure than in this camp.

At the end of the summer of 1804, the general with his engineers instructed the troops to build a monument, in the shape of a 36 metres high pyramid. The pyramid was shaped after the Gizeh pyramids he saw together with Napoleon during a campaign in Egypt. After 27 days of hard labour they finished the monument made from earth and covered with heather on October 12th, and erected a 13 metres high wooden obelisk on top. The monument was to honor Napoleon's heroic deeds, but General De Marmont also hoped to immortalize himself. The monument became known as "Marmont's mountain". To the general's dismay, Napoleon's younger brother (Louis Napoleon) (re)named the monument in 1806 to "The Pyramid of Austerlitz", amongst others in an attempt to unite the 3 surrounding towns and the camp into one large town called Austerlitz. That was in honor of his brother Napolon's victorious battle at the city of Austerlitz in 1805 against the Austrian and Russian troops (today that town is known as Slakov in the Czech Republic).

Austerlitz1283.jpg

Austerlitz1236.jpg

Soldiers trying to stay warm in the rain:
Austerlitz1155.jpg

Austerlitz1151.jpg

To be continued...

Bart

Last edited:
Another high ranking officer keeping an eye on things:
Austerlitz1243.jpg

Austerlitz1201.jpg

Regrouping:
Austerlitz1268.jpg

Photography with lasting images wasn't invented until some 2 decades later after the events, so the images above were shot at an annual 2 day replay of the manoeuvers. Lots of volunteers with their homemade replica costumes, attributes, and weapons endured the rain, and they had a lot of fun. They created a good show.

I was glad I had an EOS 1Ds Mark III camera with weather sealed (24-70mm f/2.8) lens, it survived the rain, and the sand that was blown in the air with canon fire, without a problem. I on the other hand was a bit more soaked and muddy, but I also survived ... ;-)

Cheers,
Bart

Mike Shimwell

Bart

Great stuff. Looks like a great day out and really atmospheric pictures too. Do the officers take on a new character when they put on their uniforms, or are they as imposing in everyday life?

Mike

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Bart
a pretty good reportage…
But finally wether it is Irak, Afganistan or Europe, now or some centuries/decades earlier it's still the same horror…
I hope these demonstrations aren't only a show to njoy kids but the occasion to remember all that big sh*t…

Thanks for sharing !

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Bart,

I am so glad to see this series, I think you have done a great job in capturing the atmosphere of the event. The pictures tell many stories, waiting for us to discover. Especially the portraits are very good.

BTW, I am amazed that you could wander amongst them freely! Did you have protection for your ears, it seems as if there was a lot of noise being generated by those canons.

Thanks for sharing :)

Cheers,

Hi Bart
a pretty good reportage…
But finally wether it is Irak, Afganistan or Europe, now or some centuries/decades earlier it's still the same horror…
I hope these demonstrations aren't only a show to njoy kids but the occasion to remember all that big sh*t…

Thanks for sharing !

Hi Nicolas,

Thanks. You're right, it's horror. I just hope that by remembering we will learn, and not repeat.

Cheers,
Bart

Hi Bart,

I am so glad to see this series, I think you have done a great job in capturing the atmosphere of the event. The pictures tell many stories, waiting for us to discover. Especially the portraits are very good.

BTW, I am amazed that you could wander amongst them freely! Did you have protection for your ears, it seems as if there was a lot of noise being generated by those canons.

Thanks for sharing :)

Cheers,

Hi Cem,

Unfortunately I wasn't prepared so I didn't bring any ear protection, I had no idea it would be that loud. Even at a distance the rifles/muskets made quite an impression. The canons really pounded one's chest, and that was when standing behind them, nobody was allowed within 50 metres in front of them, even though they were shooting blanks. The shockwave in front of the mussle, in a 145 degree angle was dangerous for one's health.

I wasn't actually in the battlefield, so the closer shots were taken elsewhere on the terrain, but I used them out of sequence to paint the atmosphere of being there. I was close, but got sent away a few times. A bit of small talk with the people, asking about their costumes/equipment/the weather, did help to get closer than the rest of the crowd, but also closer to the noise ;-).

Cheers,
Bart

Bart

Great stuff. Looks like a great day out and really atmospheric pictures too. Do the officers take on a new character when they put on their uniforms, or are they as imposing in everyday life?

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks. The officer that I portrayed in the dark blue uniform was a pleasant guy. I sat down at the campfire with him as he told me about his scoot-mobile. I offered to send him a copy of the portrait, so he gave me his address.

Cheers,
Bart