• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

How good is your color vision?

Hi folks,

Here's a test for you:
http://www.xrite.com/custom_page.aspx?PageID=77

Arrange the colors in their correct order and get a score of the amount of errors, 0 being perfect. It's not a contest, just a test to see how good your color vision is. Also note that a large percentage of males are partially colorblind.

I'm glad I managed to get a zero (=perfect) score on the first try.

Cheers,
Bart

Doug Kerr

Hi, Bart,

Interestingly enough, as I review a screen shot of my finished test, I can readily see (visually) several errors I made, especially in the first row (which I did first and didn't seriously revisit)!

I guess the test is in part an assessment of my patience!

Thanks again.

Best regards,

Doug

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi folks,

Here's a test for you:
http://www.xrite.com/custom_page.aspx?PageID=77

Arrange the colors in their correct order and get a score of the amount of errors, 0 being perfect. It's not a contest, just a test to see how good your color vision is. Also note that a large percentage of males are partially colorblind.

I'm glad I managed to get a zero (=perfect) score on the first try.

Cheers,
Bart

hmmm got 12… I may be ready for B&W! no seriously that must be from my laptop monitor (what a good excuse, hé?)

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Bart,
I had taken the same test about 6 months ago - and failed miserably!
On the up side I recommend we consider a "handicap" system, akin to golf.
The higher the handicap, the kinder members must be in crtiquing our images!

Between my chromatic shortcomings and the inherent inability to see vertical lines (as Asher has so kindly noted :) ...I'd be unbeatable!!!!

Believe it or not, I know I was surprised, but I too scored a 0 on my first and only attempt. I don't know if that speaks more to my color vision or the quality of my NEC monitor. Anyway, that won't even get me a cup of coffee but it was interesting. My wife did it as well and scored 112.
James

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Believe it or not, I know I was surprised, but I too scored a 0 on my first and only attempt. I don't know if that speaks more to my color vision or the quality of my NEC monitor. Anyway, that won't even get me a cup of coffee but it was interesting. My wife did it as well and scored 112.
James
Well James,

I used my wife's iMac with the light from the garden hedge reflecting on to the glossy screen! So does that count against my score?

I'm not saying I might have done better on my Eizo monitor in the low light of my office, but at least I don't so worse than your wife did! So if 112 is the base line for reasonable, then 23 is pretty damn good!

Perhaps patience comes into this too!

Asher

Leonardo Boher

pro member
Pretty nice test! I got 33 :) I thought it will be much worst!

Here are my results :)

CapturadePantalla1-2.jpg

And

CapturadePantalla2.jpg

Andrew Rodney

The idea that the quality of the display and its calibration settings have little or not role on the score seems far fetched.

The idea that the quality of the display and its calibration settings have little or not role on the score seems far fetched.

Hi Andrew,

I don't think anybody said that the quality of the display (e.g. wide gamut) and its calibration is not a factor. However, a good score on a given display under certain viewing conditions does give some confidence that colorblindness is not a major factor.

Cheers,
Bart

Will_Perlis

I hit 22. The last time I took one of these was forty-five or so years ago in an experimental psych class, where the colors were on little canisters. Back then I was perfect in many ways. Now, not so much. ;-)

I hit 22. The last time I took one of these was forty-five or so years ago in an experimental psych class, where the colors were on little canisters. Back then I was perfect in many ways. Now, not so much. ;-)

Hi Will,

But you are probably better now in other ways !;-)

Cheers,
Bart

delta E

Anyone have any idea what the delta E between the patches is? I would find that very informative, as I have no intuitive idea of "how much" 1 delta E represents.

PS I scored 6 on a profiled NEC 2960WUxi.

age 65 and about 1 year into color trying to get color right....

Andrew Rodney

Anyone have any idea what the delta E between the patches is? I would find that very informative, as I have no intuitive idea of "how much" 1 delta E represents.

There are various formula's for deltaE (deltaE 2000 is probably what we'd like to be using). That said, the idea is a deltaE of 1 or less is supposed to be not perceivable to the average viewer. That is, two different patches that measure less than a deltaE of 1 would appear identical. Higher values, bigger difference. Its been said over the years that a deltaE of 6 or less is "acceptable difference" for a lot of press work (presses being that way).

I used a NEC 3090 and got a score of 3. The errors fell exactly in the colors I struggled with (greens and teals).

charlie chipman

I see plenty of beautiful colours, I am only colour blind because people tell me so ;-)

I scored a 78.

About a year or so ago I tried the same test and got similar results, I also fail various other online as well as the eye doctor colour blind tests, I embrace my colour blindness :)

There are various formula's for deltaE (deltaE 2000 is probably what we'd like to be using). That said, the idea is a deltaE of 1 or less is supposed to be not perceivable to the average viewer. That is, two different patches that measure less than a deltaE of 1 would appear identical. Higher values, bigger difference. Its been said over the years that a deltaE of 6 or less is "acceptable difference" for a lot of press work (presses being that way).

I used a NEC 3090 and got a score of 3. The errors fell exactly in the colors I struggled with (greens and teals).
Understood.
If I scored 6, then I'm having trouble distinguishing some colors. It would be nice to know how close (objectively) those colors are, so that I'd have a clear idea of my ability to distinguish colors. Were the patches 1 deltaE 2000 apart, or 10 deltaE 2000, or 100?.
Anyone know?