• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Illinois River Commerce

The Asian Carp has been in the news lately. It has been spreading upriver from the Mississippi through the Illinois River, and neighboring states with with an interest in the great lakes fishing industry have an understandable desire for it not to spread beyond Chicago. The damming and dredging of major rivers also has considerable environmental costs. Competing with all this is a desire to maintain the very significant profit of transporting bulk goods by barge.

None of this has a thing to do with the two photos I'd like to share, but I hope it helps establish a sense of context.

122166328.jpg

Barge tow Jane Ann Blessey​

My primary interest was the water reflections of the towboat lights in the water. Heavy snow was falling, so detail is not what it would have been otherwise. I am very passionate about this river, and so would like an objective opinion about it as an image standing - or not - on its own merits.

122162043.jpg

Chemical Barge​

Same boat, but converted to black and white and cropped to a 4 x 1 aspect ratio. Does this work?

All thoughts and opinions are very welcome. Thanks for looking.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Tom,

I understand the the Asian Carp is more sensitive to cold and this is killing them off. Is that true?

Asher

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Tom,
It's been a while since we've seen your river images!
Here's my thoughts on these two:
I like the reflections you've caught in the first image, however it seems something is lost by the tight crop.
In the second, you're correct in your own observation relating to the loss of detail due to the falling snow.
I think the concept has great potential. You are certainly in a unique vantage point, having this river traffic as your canvas.
I'd like to see more!

...and Asher - unfortunately the carp are unfazed by cold water. They winter over quite comfortably beneath a frozen surface.

Asher Kelman

Hi Tom,
It's been a while since we've seen your river images!
Here's my thoughts on these two:
I like the reflections you've caught in the first image, however it seems something is lost by the tight crop.
In the second, you're correct in your own observation relating to the loss of detail due to the falling snow.

John,

Isn't the first essentially a crop of the second? The tough thing is to make the reflections more important. so cropping the image would seem to do that. Unfortunately, the crop itself upsets the expected length of the composition.

Tom,

Could you explain what the function of the vessels. Is the first one a tug? Is there any activity there of dredging.

Asher

John and Asher,

Thanks for taking time to look and comment.

Actually, the first photo isn't cropped. I used my 5DMKII with an old 100-400mm. So the reflection photo was taken at around 400mm rotated to vertical. The second, black and white, photo was taken at 100mm, and it was cropped to 12 x 4 from the original 12 x 8. Pretty much had this Sinsabaugh-like idea in mind while looking through the viewfinder.

The barge vessels are called tows. These things push more than tow, but the name comes from the old days when the only way to move a barge along a waterway was to tow it from the shore.

Damming any natural waterway turns what used to be a river into a series of pools. This slows down the flow of water considerably, and this, of course, causes silt to settle out of suspension. Consequently, the main channel must be dredged out on a regular basis. It's just part of the bargain.

106456821.jpg

Crane Barge LaSalle​

I don't know if this unit was set up for channel dredging or not, but the barge configuration is similar for the various maintenance chores the Army Corps of Engineers are changed with performing.

The world of barge traffic is a relatively small one, and it amazes me how little attention it gets in the normal course of events. About the only time they come to the public's attention is when a barge goes out of control and takes out a bridge or some other structure.

120023162.jpg

Barge Tow Kathy Ellen​

This was taken using a 600mm for an "over the shoulder" view of the wheelhouse as the tow headed southward along the Mississippi River. Clinton, Iowa is in the distance.

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Tom,

A good set of pictures which touch upon the "secret world of" barges. You say that the barge traffic gets little attention and I can understand that. Here in Holland they are a bit more prominent as we have canals, rivers and barges all over the place in huge numbers. They have a certain appeal to me such that I end up taking barge/river/canal photos quite regularly.

Thanks for sharing :)

Cheers,

Hi Cem,

Thanks for taking the time to have a look and to comment. I'd sure like to see what barge traffic looks like in Holland, so please share some photos if you have a spare moment.

Tom

Asher Kelman

106456821.jpg

Crane Barge LaSalle​

Tom,

I like the landscape shot of the crane barge backed by the wonderful line of trees behind it. There's the combination of raw mechanical power and the continuous work of nature going on around us, unabated and almost taken for granted.

I find this picture instructive as t reminds us of the power of nature requiring us to keep working just to keep up with what we think we've already complete!

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Cem,

Thanks for taking the time to have a look and to comment. I'd sure like to see what barge traffic looks like in Holland, so please share some photos if you have a spare moment.

Tom
Hi Tom,

Thanks for allowing me to show some barge pictures. I have many of those but I have to decide which ones are worthy showing here. Perhaps this one as a starter?

f19419.jpg

Cheers,

Hi Tom,

Thanks for allowing me to show some barge pictures. I have many of those but I have to decide which ones are worthy showing here. Perhaps this one as a starter?

Hi Cem,

I love the light, despite the wind whipping up the water, and the tan/yellow/orange reeds add warmth to the chilly weather against a cold toned backdrop/sky. I also like the contrast between the tranquil/moored barge, and the restless windy weather, a nice contrast.

Cheers,
Bart

Hi Cem,

I agree with Bart's assessment. This is a wonderful photo, and those clouds give it the finishing touch. I will keep your idea of using clouds to add an extra element in flat topography in mind.

The Illinois River waterway, as well as railroads, put the mid-nineteenth century canals out of business many decades ago. They are no longer used, and only traces of them remain here and there. From old pictures I've seen, the barges used in these old canals appear to be similar in size to the one in your photo - about 6 meters wide and 30 meters long. This suggests that the canals in Holland may also date back to the mid nineteenth century, or earlier, and remain viable to this day.

I'd very much like to see more of your barge photos, as well as photos of infrastructure related to them, Cem.

Tom